They Have Their Parents' Approval

James Potter I

"How do I look?" Lily asked Sirius, twirling around in her dress. She wanted to look perfect for when she was going to meet James's mum.

"With your eyes," Sirius replied sarcastically while flipping through a magazine with a flashy motorcycle on the front cover; he couldn't even spare a quick glance in her direction.

Lily and the four marauders were currently in James's childhood bedroom at Potter Manor after coming home for break.

Over their sixth year, James invited Lily over to spend the summer at his manor. Having to decide between the constant isolation and disapproving sneers from her sister or a fun summer with the marauders, Lily wisely chose the latter. James's father had recently died and he knew he did not want to spend the summer alone and Lily wanted to be there for him in whichever way she could.

James watched Lily fidget with her dress. "Why are you so nervous to meet my mum anyway?"

He wasn't really sure where he stood with Lily Evans. They had become friends in their fifth year and they had gotten closer and closer as the days passed. James had stopped asking Lily out completely and Lily actually smiled when he sat down next to her. He didn't want to jinx it by asking her out again, but he knew he certainly wanted to be more than friends with her.

"It's not just your mum, James," Sirius said, munching on a licorice wand before flipping to the next page of his magazine. "Lily just has a desperate need to look good in the eyes of any grown adult. She's a professional ass-kisser."

"Oi!" Lily protested.

"I did say you were professional." Sirius shrugged.

"Well, you're just an ass," Lily retorted.

"Actually, I'm a dog."

Lily narrowed her eyes as she glared at the Animagus, "And you—"

"Alright, alright!" James put his hand up, interfering in the argument before it could escalate. "Sirius, don't call Lily an ass-kisser and Lily, you are going to be fine. Mum is gonna love you. She always talked about wanting a girl in the house."

"As if Remus wasn't enough," Sirius snorted.

"Oi!" Remus threw a pillow at Sirius's head from James's bed where he and Peter were playing a game of chess. "Are you trying to start a fight with everyone in this room?"

"I'm bored!" Sirius sang as he twisted his body off the couch, dropping the shiny booklet to the floor.

"I just don't know how to act in front of her," Lily said, wringing her hands. "And I'm a muggleborn and I don't know, your mum is like pureblood royalty."

"My mum doesn't care about blood status," James replied. "That's the last thing on her mind. She doesn't care."

"Okay, sure but... even when purebloods say they don't care, somewhere in the back of their minds they still see a difference between purebloods and muggleborns."

Remus nodded in agreement. "Lily does have a point."

Lily continued. "Like take Professor Slughorn for example—"

James interrupted her, "The minute we start comparing my mum to Slughorn is where I draw the line."

"Lily," Sirius said with a sincere tone that had her turning her head. "I know a lot of purebloods might seem like that. Trust me, I've lived with that. I can promise you that Mrs. Potter is nothing like them. Not a single bit."

Lily nodded hesitantly and turned back to the mirror to continue smoothing out her dress until she heard the sound of the Floo network being activated.