They Struggle With Emotions

James Potter I

James worked hard in his Potions class. A lot of things came easily to him. Quidditch, transfiguration, charms. But potions was something he had always struggled with. And, of course, he needed to pass this class to become an auror. And, of course, this was the one class he was paired with Lily Evans, so her intoxicating, glorious smell distracted him every two seconds. And, of course, his unspoken rival, Severus Snape, had to be the best in the class. Of freakin' course.

He didn't understand why it was so hard. Putting things in a cauldron and mixing them about. Why was it so hard?

They were currently in Potions, James working with Lily, to make the Draught of Living Death. How fun. James wiped the sweat off his brow as he stirred the cauldron. Why was the potion turning purple? He was pretty sure it was not supposed to turn purple.

"I think it's time we add the Sopophorous bean," Lily reminded, trying to keep things strictly professional.

Ah, so that was why it was turning purple.

James readied his knife to cut the bean, but Lily stopped him. "Crushing the bean with the flat side of the knife is more effective." She took the knife from his grasp and demonstrated.

"That was really smart," James bunched his hair in his hand.

"Thanks. Severus taught me that."

Of. Freakin'. Course.

James didn't know what to say after that because anytime Lily mentioned Snape, James had an odd feeling in his chest. One of jealousy and frustration. Not knowing how to deal with that feeling, James took the next ingredient, wormwood, and threw it at Lily, "You, Evans, have worm-wooded your way into my heart."

Once it landed in her hair, Lily shrieked in anger, "What the hell, Potter?"

She then proceeded to grab the powdered root of Asphodel and threw it on James making his black hair turn white from the powder.

A tiny bit of the root landed on Sirius and to join in on the fun, Sirius threw the valerian sprigs into the class causing a full-blown food fight—or rather, potion fight.

Yes, potions did not come very easily to James. But expressing his actual feelings to Lily without some dramatic show... yeah, that didn't come very easily either.

***

Lily Luna Potter

People always joked about the Potter family having a kid in every house. Her parents especially. When she sent home a letter telling them she was sorted into Ravenclaw, they were so proud. Complimenting her on how smart she was and that she was going to fit in great.

Three years later and she still couldn't fit in.

She got along with them, don't get her wrong. She sat with the Ravenclaws. She ate with the Ravenclaws. She told jokes and sometimes they laughed. But she didn't fit in. She thought of herself as the dumbest out of them all. After all, the others got sorted into Ravenclaw. She just chose to be there on a whim.

She always struggled in class and she couldn't even answer the door's riddles to get into the common room, always waiting for someone to join her so they could answer. If anyone noticed how dumb she was, they didn't comment. After all, even if Lily was stupid, she was good company and fun to be around. She never let anyone in on her insecurities. She was the one who encouraged people, she didn't let others know she was weak.

Everything was fine until the Ravenclaws had potions. This was a combined class with the fourth years and Lily was happy to see Scorpius sitting in the back of the class. Sadly, she couldn't move to join him because she was partnered with Theresa Boot, a fellow third year Ravenclaw. She was nice enough, but became really defensive when people questioned her intelligence. That was why Lily and Theresa usually made a good pairing, Theresa did all the work and Lily praised her for her intelligence. They were creating the Draught of Living Death and once again, Lily and Theresa were partners in crime creating the draught.