Chapter 4: Late

Wanda and I had been invited to a party on Sunday night by a guy who lived in 34e. I'd been living in the residence halls for nearly a whole week now and we had gotten to know the people on our floor pretty well. I won't spare the details but I think I may have gotten a little carried away. I mean, come on, I'm from the UK for christ's sake, we know how to drink. I just may or may not have exceeded my limit on this particular night. I remember Wanda having to carry me on her back all the way from this random frat house to our dorm room. She was freakishly strong, but I wasn't complaining. When we got back, I just remember throwing up several times before crawling into bed and that's how I ended up here, in bed, feeling the faint throb of an oncoming headache that was bound to hit hard tomorrow morning. Lessons and lectures started officially tomorrow but my first Law lecture was on Tuesday so I had no reason to wake up early tomorrow. At least I don't think I have anything planned... Anyways, I placed an aspirin and a bottle of water on the desk by my bed so that I could take it tomorrow morning. I think I fell asleep at around 2am.

-the next morning-

I woke up to a rather annoying beeping sound. At first it was just a noise within my dream, but as I began to stir from my sleep, I realized that the noise was real, and it was coming from my phone. I swiped my phone off of the desk and looked at it. It was an alarm set for 7:30, titled 'Russian Class'. SHIT! I looked at the time. It was 8:40. The class started at 9, and it takes me 10 minutes to walk over to the campus where the language classrooms were. GOD DAMNIT! I knew I was forgetting something. I quickly jumped out of bed and took the aspirin I had laid out for myself. Not only was it hard to get ready in a hurry, but it was even harder to do it when you were nursing a hangover at the same time. I threw on a some jeans and a flannel shirt and threw my laptop, pens, and paper into a backpack before bursting out of the door.

 I threw on a some jeans and a flannel shirt and threw my laptop, pens, and paper into a backpack before bursting out of the door

(something like this)

It was already 9:00 when I burst out of the residence hall building, so class had already started. I bolted through the streets of New York, taking slip roads and shortcuts through alleyways to try and get there as fast as I could. HOW COULD I FORGET? The teacher is gonna hate me. This is going to leave such a bad first impression. I wouldn't be surprised if she has already given up my spot to one of the many students who didn't make it into her class. Oh god. This is so bad...

I finally arrive at the languages building, completely out of breath and hair a little messy from the wind. I climb the stairs, calves and thighs aching as I did so, and practically stumbled through the door into the class. The door was at the back of the room so everyone turned around when they heard me burst in. This is so embarrassing. Standing up straight and clearing my throat, I gave a pretty breathless "Sorry I'm late Miss" before scanning the class for an empty seat. The class could only fit around 20 people in it, so every seat was filled, apart from one, at the front, on the left, right in front of the teacher's desk. Great! "Look who decided to finally join us." the teacher smirked. "I'm really sorry." I repeated. She had an unreadable look on her face. "Sit." she ordered, signalling to the empty chair in the front. I just nodded and sauntered over to my seat and slumped in it. She stared at me as I sat down and a smirk tugged at the corner of her lips again. Why was she smiling at me? Anyways, I just sat through the rest of the class, participated like I normally do, showcasing my knowledge of the language, and before I knew it, the bell rang. Class was over.

I put my stuff back in my bag and threw it over my shoulder before preparing to leave. "Y/N..." I heard Miss Romanoff say over the loud, post-class chatter going on as people flooded out of the room. I turned around to look at her. "Stay behind please." Oh no. She's probably going to kick me out of the class for being late. I knew I shouldn't have gone to that party last night. "...and can you go and shut the door." I placed my bag down in my seat as I strolled to the back of the classroom to close the door. As I walked back she was sat on the edge of her desk, staring at me with her head tilted. I see what Wanda was saying now, she is very pretty. Wait, no! She's my teacher I can't say that! I sit down on the edge of my desk and fold my arms. Now we were directly facing each other. She doesn't say anything, so the silence forces me to blurt out an apology.

"Miss Romanoff, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to be late, it's just, I-I didn't wake up when my alarm went off and then I had to rush this morning, a-and run to school, I d- I just don't want you to think I'm a bad student, because... b-because... I- it wont happen again, I promi-" I cut myself off when I saw her smile and look down. "I'm not mad..." she said reassuringly, "... I actually wanted to compliment you on your knowledge today." I was a little taken back by this. Was she not mad? "Oh, uhh I- thank you... Miss." "No really..." she went on. "people who take my class never actually come here to learn Russian. I don't know if you noticed, but you're the only girl. No one actually wants to study Russian, they're just here to gawk over me. Then they drop the subject in two weeks so it doesn't go towards their grade. For the past 3 years, every class I've had is empty after the first two weeks. But you... you actually want to learn Russian. I get the feeling that you'll stick around after those two weeks. But by then it'll probably be just be me and you." She smiled at me and I relaxed and smiled back, but I quickly avoided eye contact, looking down at my hands as I now played nervously with my fingers. "So you're not mad that I was late?" I asked just to make sure. "Oh no I am mad. Don't do it again. But keep up the good work, I might actually have a student for a full year for once." I just laughed nervously, not knowing what to say.

She stood up and walked over to me, placing a hand on my knee. She rubbed it gently and I looked up at her in shock. She leaned in closer, positioning her lips by my ear. I could feel her warm breath on my skin as her lips skimmed my ear. "See you next week..." she whispered, pulling away and walking back to her desk. I was so nervous I just picked up my backpack and scurried out of the room, not looking back. What the hell was that? I had no idea but I think Russian is my new favorite class...

A/N

Gosh, four chapters in a day, who is this? Anyways, we finally got some action thank god. It only goes up from here and I cannot wait.

I hope you're all enjoying it. Anyways, see you in the next chapter :)