Chapter 7; The Turning Point

⚠️Warning: talk of self harm⚠️

The sun was setting in The Golden City, People from all over returning from work and school. Meanwhile, The Titans were relaxing and winding down, all except Zay and Maya. Who are preparing to head out to the city streets looking for HIVE bases. "Maya, you ready?" Zay called out. Maya walked out dressed in her trademark overall shorts-leggings combo, "Yeah Yeah, I had to grab some things! Ya know, just in case." She winks at Zay walking towards the elevator. Zay smirked, following close behind. "Hey you two, be back by midnight and behave." Starfire smiled. "Yes, ma'am!" They said, The elevator rose and brought the two to the roof of Titan Tower.

Zay looked over at Maya, "Where should we start?" She smiled looking towards the ground, "Maybe we could go get coffee and just see if anything comes up." Zay chuckled, "Ok we can do that." They both always liked coffee, everyday they'd have some during the League of Assassins. "I know a place, you can still fly right?" Zay chuckled, "Duh. Grab on!" Hesitantly, Maya wrapped her arms around his neck, blushing as she got closer to him. Zay started to hover, lifting Maya up with him. Zay smirked, taking off to the coffee shop. A few minutes of flying and Zay pretending to drop Maya, they arrived at a familiar cafe. "SnowPaw? I was here a few days ago when I got here." They both laughed at the coincidence.

As soon as they walked into the coffee bean scented shop, almost immediately Maya was greeted by an employee, "Heyo Maya!" A voice called out from behind the counter. She smiled, "Hi Sierra!" A teen girl with short brown hair and glasses walked up to the desk. "Hey Maya!" She Looked over to Zay, "Hey, I recognize you! You were here a few days ago." Zay confirmed her assumption. Sierra suddenly leaned in and whispered, "So you on a mission or Something?" Zay quickly turned his head to Maya, "Relax, she knows." She confirmed, " Yea, we're looking for HIVE Bases around the city to hopefully stop any more invasions." Sierra's eyes lit up, "That's so cool!! I'll let you know if I see anything." Zay smiled, thanking her. They both ordered their drinks and headed out into the San Francisco streets.

"So, how do you know her?" Zay asked as they continued walking down the block. She sighed in an annoyed tone, "It's a long story...basically I started Snowpaw with Kathy and one of her friends got hired and she walked in on us in our suits." Zay interrupted her, "And you had to explain you were a superhero and how she had to keep it a secret?" Maya took a sip of her coffee before answering, "Yea, pretty much." The two entered a playground to the delight of Zay, who ran through the silk sand over to the swings. Maya laughed following behind him. She sat down on the swinging seat next to Zay. The mood shifted, silence filled the playground.

Maya surveyed the park before looking down. She sniffled as she spoke with a broken voice, "I thought you were dead.." Zay turned over to her before looking back down, "Surprised I'm not." Tears fell down Zay's eyes, "I thought I lost everything and everyone so I put a bullet in my mouth and I healed.." Maya gasped as a tear road down her face. "You have us now...and you might for a long while." Zay smiled, moving his hand down, grabbing Maya's warm, soft hand. She blushed rosy red. She gazed into his chocolate brown eyes before eventually gripping his hand. "Honestly.." He began, briefly pausing trying to find the words to say. "Honestly, just being with you again is all I need to be happy." Maya released his hand, getting off the swing and walked a few steps forward before putting her hands on her eyes. From where Zay was it looked like she was crying, a worried Zay quickly hopped up and ran over to her. He looked over her shoulder, his expression changed from worried to confused.
"Why are you laughing child." He said, trying not to crack up.
Maya was cracking up, even the birds looked confused. "You're adorable, you know that?" Zay blushed looking down at the woodchip-covered ground. He cracked a smile before looking back up at her.

Zay smirked before stepping closer to Maya, leaning down closer to her face. She blushed to realize what was happening. Zay pressed his lips on her soft, olive-brown cheek. She blushed bright red. He quickly backed up and quickly apologized. "I'm so sorry! I got too caught up in the mo-", Maya put a finger on his mouth causing him to silence himself, she moved her finger off his mouth after a few seconds. She moved up to her tiptoes and grabbed around his head, moving closer with every wave of wind. Maya stepped closer one final time, this time locking with Zay's sweet lips. The taste of coffee was still there, which Maya didn't seem to mind. 7 long years they've waited for this moment. From Maya stopping Zay from killing Damian to Zay saving Maya several times. Zay put his hand in her hair, curling it into his hand. Minutes that felt like hours went by and Maya released her lips off Zay's. Both were blushing before Maya said, "I've always loved you." Zay flashed an embarrassed smile, "I love you too."

Suddenly before the two, now more than friends could take in what just happened, "BANG!" a gunshot went off in the very close distance. Zay and Maya looked at each other and nodded before suiting up and running into action. "Told you we might need it!" NoBody laughed, grabbing onto Crypto, who was flying off shaking his head. Eventually, the Assassin couple finds the Gunshots location, landing in front of a small warehouse. "Ya think HIVE is in there?" Nobody asked. Crypto stared down the building, "Honestly, Yes they definitely are." He responded.

The two would enter the warehouse on high alert. There were a lot of oversized robot parts all over the area. "What are they trying to do, make giant robots?" Crypto said. The place looked dead. No life was visible, until a voice called out, "That's exactly what we're doing!" Nobody and Crypts looked over to see Gizmo and some Hive soldiers standing ahead of them. "Give it up Gizmo, we have no time for mind games!" Nobody called out. Gizmo snickered, "You might not have time for mind games but I do!" One of the soldiers gave Gizmo a machine. A yellow beam shot out of the machine, hitting Nobody in the head. Her suit eyes turned yellow as she turned towards Crypto, "M, you alright!?" Nobody lost control of her body, raising her hand, and shot Crypto with a sonic beam knocking him into a wall. He grunted in pain as she walked off with HIVE. Suddenly the room filled with a yellow gas, leaving Him in there alone and unconscious with no way of escaping...