Chapter 2: Caspar

"So, I am to believe that you had a dream last night?" Death asked in obvious bewilderment. I nodded slightly, brushing off my urge to speak.

Every time I tried to talk, all that would come out was a puff of air. Cold air. I was speechless. I was getting quite sick of it.

Death let out a spine tingling chuckle; I jumped at his deep voice. I was afraid of him-- who wasn't?-- but I couldn't understand why I wasn't utterly disgusted by him.

Nevertheless, I stayed by his side, even when he had these types of days.

I rolled my eyes and his own glared at me. His lips then curved into a devilish grin.

"Tell me," he asked, "what was this dream about?" I stood still, but it was no use; Death was a powerful being. He knew I couldn't speak, simply because he was the one who put this curse on me in the first place.

It's quite lonely in the Forgotten Underworld for Death; it's not at all like Hell, which is actually pretty joyous. Most humans don't understand that the Forgotten Underworld is Hell, and Hell is Limbo, where the ones who die go, before they end up in Heaven or Hell.

I was never in Limbo.

When I died, I was sent straight to Death; I was selected... to be Death's Personal Soul Keeper. That was merely a human year ago.

I didn't remember how I died; no one does, not even Death.

He's been here for a while. And there have been Soul Keepers before me... a lot of them, actually. Most of them have withered away though. Death is the only immortal.

Once dead ones go to Hell, they eventually wither away and are forgotten for good. But others, who go to Heaven, become angels, protecting the world and the universe. Death, on the other hand, takes the lives of those on Earth.

But, sometimes when he's not up for it... it's my job. That's just what I do. It's in my name.

Death was still laughing when I came back into reality. He knew.

Like I said: Death is a powerful creature. Any human can die from his touch, he doesn't die, and he's psychic.

But... he knew about the boy. The one that I did not know. I was so terrified, but Death didn't say a word; he dismissed me and sat, as if thinking, in his chair. I closed the doors and started down the long corridor of Hell.

♤♡♢♧

During this time, Hell was always crowded and, as I struggle to get through, I saw Delilah, a dark fallen Angel from Heaven who kept the demons of Hell at bay. Although, today she wasn't doing a very good job.

They were everywhere.

"HEY, CASPAR, BUDDY," she shouted at me, as a demon ran past us, "COULD YOU GIVE ME A HAND?!" I nodded and ran for the demons. "WAIT! TAKE THIS!" I turned, as she tossed me a shotgun, and turning back to the demons, I shot straight at them.

As the bullets flew, sticking each demon, I watched their souls fade away. It wasn't their time, but things change down here in Hell.

"Thanks, kid." She said, after the demons all disappeared. "Death's gonna be up my ass for this, but thanks for helping me out. You're a good shooter." I never understood why she treated me more like an acquaintance than a friend. Granted, in human years she's 31, but in Hell, you need all the friends you can get.

I smiled at her and handed the shotgun back, but she stared at it and shook her head lightly.

"Nah, keep it. You'll make better use of it than me." She said, smiling, as I shoved the gun through my belt loop. "So, kid. Why don't you talk?"

I knew it. I knew she'd ask that eventually. But I didn't have an answer for it. I simply stared at her blankly.

"Ah, never mind." She finally said, after a moments silence. She shoved the two pistols she had into the pouches on either side of her waist. "I'm sure you got a perfectly good reason, being in Hell and all."

She ran off at top speed and flew into the air with her massive wings.

I frowned after she left and headed towards the direction I was originally going.

As I walked down the halls, I took out the gun and stared it for a while, before wondering: why would she give me this? What would I ever use it for? I sighed and shoved it back through the loop.

In the halls, I always felt out of place. I was the only Soul Keeper; everyone in Hell was either a demon or a dark Angel. I felt alone. God, how I hated that feeling.

I stopped near a red door, turned the knob, and stepped inside. I sat on the soft, blood splattered bed and frowned again. There was no need for a bed, I barely ever slept; at least, I tried not to, for fear of having the dream again.

I stood up from the bed and walked over to the desk, setting the gun atop it and turning on the lamp. In front of me, sat a small, ripped paper written in blood.

Victim's name: Alix Iriss.
Sex: Male.
Age: 16 human years.
Cause of Death: Suicide.
Time of Death: 2016 A.D. July, 18th @ 3:24 a.m.
Stationed: Limbo.

The name seemed so familiar. But it was a new victim. But... Limbo. It would be my first time there. Why was he sent to Limbo? He's not officially dead yet...

Something wasn't right.

♤♡♢♧

A/N: Hey, guys. I am so excited for this book! Jdnfheknx. Sorry.
Umm... this is my first book, so in the comments give me some pointers and what you think of the book so far.

What's Caspar going to do? This whole Limbo thing seems pretty sketchy. O.e Keep reading to find out.

Vote! ♡
Comment! ♡
Follow! ♡

Keep reading. Ciao!

Picture of Delilah.