Chapter 13

Josiphina

I would have stood by that grave for hours. I would have cried for days. But what would that do? Nothing. I was tired of feeling sorry for myself. I needed to do something. I needed to take down VENOM and pick up David on the way. While I was busy worrying about every detail, I couldn't see the big picture. VENOM was still rising. It was made up of everything I hated. Now it was time to get the job done.

I had a list of eleven names, and a frequent flyer card.

Rochelle Stevens, a history professor at Cambridge might have been just packing up for the day. Or the year. She was on the run.

I pushed open the old wood-framed doors without knocking, a habit. As I admired the structural work of the old university, I tried to keep in mind my mission. Get Rochelle.

Kai was behind me, and I had fourteen armed guards and an armored vehicle waiting outside. I was set.

"Excuse me," I asked one of receptionists behind an old oak desk in my best British accent. "Where could I find professor Stevens?"

I was dressed like a Cambridge student, being just old enough for the job, maybe a freshman. Kai was disguised as a janitor, silently sweeping the hall behind me. He was backup.

"Room 113, first floor."

I almost wished the receptionist had inquired more. My alibi was perfect. I was going in to to ask about secret service in Brazil, which the freshman class had just been learning about. Was it a coincidence that Rochelle had been a mole there to keep them away from VENOM? I think not. In my history textbook I had cut a hole and placed a mini handgun, if it was necessary. Ms. Stevens was older now, hopefully she wouldn't be to much trouble.

I casually gave Kai a look, silently telling him to bring the guards and the vehicle to that side of the building. He took one last sweep, and then headed for the closet to put his broom away, and to signal out the window.

"Thank you."

I rounded the corner, coming upon a long hallway lined with doors. 100...104...107...110...111...112...

113.

The door was open just a crack, but enough so that I could hear the rustling of bags, and two feet hastily running around the room. Searching, searching...

I knew what she was looking for. It was a necklace, laying by my feet in the crack of the doorway. If you didn't look too closely, it would have looked like an ordinary necklace. But I saw the snake. I saw the symbol for VENOM on that pendant, the same as Jake's and as mine. It was still on my neck, and now it felt heavy.

I reached down and pocketed the small item. Then, I pushed open the door and stepped inside.

"Professor?"

She turned, her eyes weary, as if she was going insane. That's was VENOM can do to you. She stared at, unmoving, for a second, as if she could see beyond my glasses and blonde wig tto see who I really was.

"Professor?"

She shook her head. "Sorry," she said. "I'm just a bit frazzled is all."

"That seems like a bit of an understatement Ms Stevens," I said, stepping closer, "isn't it."

She stared ahead, waiting for me to go on.

"Maybe it's because there are fourteen armed guards waiting outside." She turned to face the window, hands shaking. Sure enough, there they were. "Maybe it's because your getaway car is idling outside, slowly losing fuel." Rochelle's piercing blue eyes were on me, the fear in them giving me power. I controlled her fate. "Maybe," I reached into my pocket and retrieved the pendant, keeping it safe inside my fist, "it's because of this."

I opened my palm and showed the black snake of VENOM, the cause of everything, and Rochelle leaped up. She thrashed out, trying to grab the pendant. But I pulled it away, and replaced it with the pistol. She let out a tiny scream before falling back to her seat, but before I could silence her I already heard footsteps in the hall. I retracted my arm as the people walked in, but Rochelle knew the gun was still there.

"Anything wrong miss?"

Rochelle shook her head. "No, I was merely excited about this young lady's essay."

It was a cold lie, but the two strangers believed it, and they waltzed out of the room, continuing there conversation on quantum physics.

"I suggest you do what you are told Miss Stevens," I whispered. "Trust me, I know."

She laughed, her eyes wild. "You know? You know nothing. VENOM is everywhere. Stopping me will do nothing to demolish its power. After all, there was only ever one girl that could escape us, and she is long dead by now."

I reached up and ripped the glasses from my face, tore off the wig so she could see who I really was. Suddenly, her face turned white.

"No." She whispered. "You can't be alive."

"Yet, I am. You see, my goal is not to demolish its power. I want to bring it down from the inside, before CJ even knows what is happening. You may not know CJ. But he is the reason I am here. Now," and I reached over and opened the window, gesturing for her to step outside.

As soon as she did, the guards had her, pushing her into the armored car. But I was not done yet.

Castro Mattivi sat in a black limousine one block over, waiting for his friend to emerge from the front door, so they could speed away. He also happened to be one of the eleven.

I tip-toed over to the edge of the building where I could see him for real. He was oblivious to what was going on behind him. Perfect.

Suddenly there was a loud bang from behind. Castro looked up, and saw me. His eyes grew wide, and he slammed down on the gas. But I was faster.

The car was an old sports car with rear-wheel drive. I shot twice, two bullets for the back two tires. The driver could do nothing. He leaped from the car, and made off for the trees. Seriously. A forty-eight year old thought he could outrun me. He tripped and faceplanted the grass just as I reached him. The guards from CIA were right behind me to retrieve him. Good. I reached into my pocket, and crossed two more names off the list of eleven.

Three down, eight to go.