Chapter 9

Josiphina

I had my strength in armies easy. Reporting back to John Brennan everything that had happened, I could easily persuade him to send a group back to Brazil. It was my internal strength that was running out. After everything that had happened, I didn't know what to think. All I had to do was ouch through this one mission. Then I could hand everything over to the CIA. Or so I thought when I boarded the private jet for the second time.

The people with me were highly trained field agents, designed to work together, but very, very quiet. They didn't say one word on the way over, an much as I tried to make conversation. They almost reminded me of ninjas.

"Buckle up," the pilot called from the cockpit. "We're nearly there."

The plan was this. After we parachuted down into the valley, they would all run ahead and search for the base. I knew the general area, but nothing more. I was to stay behind and wait for the signal, then I drive the awaiting car over to where they are, and swoop them up, simple as that.

"Prepare agents 601 for departure." An intercom rang out. "Agents 601 prepare for departure."

Everyone around me stood up immediately, and strapped in to their parachutes, each one with a million different straps, buckles, and buttons. The sliding doors opened, letting in the warm air of central Brazil. Each agent leaped out, one by one, their bodies turning into black dots, falling through thin air. Last, I jumped, my hair catching the wind, and ripping out of its bun. Five seconds later, I was casting my parachute, gliding lightly into a group of bushes (mind the thorns). It was just like old days again. The sun on my skin, the wind in my eyes... It was as if nothing had ever changed. But it had. So, so much.

It didn't take me long to find the beaten up old truck, hidden behind a wall of trees. It wasn't much of a shelter, but it would have to do. The keys were in the ignition, like they said. I reached over, and put it in gear, the truck hissing and knocking to life. The seats were torn up, but it was comfortable. All I had to do now was wait.

Seconds turned to minutes. Minutes turned to hours. Midday turned to evening. How could I trust these people that I never knew with David's life? I didn't even trust myself. And I was growing impatient.

My mind was filling up with worse case scenarios. What if they never came back? What if they never even reached the base? What if they were too late? What if...

I couldn't bear to think about it anymore. But I didn't need to. I heard shouts behind and turned to see all six agents running back with a masked man. David. Explosions erupted behind them, lighting the scene with fire. One of the agents turned around and stared in wonder. It was his invention, the bombs.

"Hurry!" I shouted, over the roar of the explosions. "We're running out of time!"

The group dived into the back of the pickup, and I floored it. Bullets cracked through the windshields, missing me by inches.

"Get down!"

As soon as we were out on the road I shouted, "Where are we going?"

"There should be a town up ahead. We have a safe house there."

I could barely hear the voice over the sounds of the road, but I obeyed, watching the tiny buildings in the distance grow and grow.

"Take a left," the voice said again.

I did, and came upon an old cabin, nestled in the trees. It was all too familiar.

"Quick!"

I threw open the doors and rushed inside, watching the others drag David along with them. I slammed the door behind them, and was just ready wrap my arms around him, when they uncovered his mask.

"Ah," he said with a sigh. "I didn't think I'd ever see this place again."

"Kai?"