Chapter 12

David

Traitor.

It was a terrible word.

Jake.
Jake?

Last year I thought I knew him. Last year, we were best friends. Now he turns on me. Betrays me for a side he isn't really on.
Traitor.

"Traitor." I said it aloud, thinking about every syllable, every sound. It was a word that made me want to strike and run away at the same time.

Traitor.
Jake.

Traitor.

The pilot of our small helicopter looked back at me. He probably thought I was insane. He was probably right.

I caught a whiff of the engine has, that horrible smell. If only Jo were here.

Jo.

We were together for one night. Then it was all over, and she was gone, and I was here. I bit my lip, and sucked in the hot air through my nose. I had to get out of here. I had to. There was no other option. Stay here and die. Leave and be free.

It was dumb the way they covered the helicopter windows. I knew how fast we were going and which direction. We should now be right over Greece. It was obvious where they were taking me. The base in England was the perfect option. If only there was a way to tell Jo.

"Nearly there."

I knew it. But I still nodded, pretending to be completely blind, while I struggled with the ropes binding my wrists. The captain could've gotten that in an instant. He was an escape artist, something I always wanted to be, but never could.

My hands were starting to bleed, but I had undone one of the knots already. Nine more to go. I started on the second one, but the blisters and blood on my hands made it nearly impossible. My case seemed hopeless. But I wasn't a firm believer in hopelessness. I could always do something.

So I planned.

The pilot was not a threat. He would never abandon the controls. If the plane went down, we would all die.

The two guards, however, seemed tougher. On my right was a ripped, Spanish man, tapping his feet slowly to the him of the engine. He would be hard to fight, but easy to outrun.

To my left was a European, with blue eyes, and dark hair. He had more of an expression, but sat silent and in moving, staring simply at the exit door. He was too skinny, and too tall, but fast. If I could manage to knock him down, and then run from the other, I might have a chance. Of course, I would have to worry about all the other people that would be waiting for me on the other side of that t exit door. I made a split decision. I would have to escape when the plane was still in the air.

Suddenly, the Spanish guard stood up, leaving his pocket knife unattended. He walked over casually and started talking to the pilot. It was the perfect opportunity. Like someone just threw a glass statue at you and said, "think fast".

I thought fast.

Two seconds later, the blade was in my hands, cutting through the rope with my back braced against the wall. The European stared on, as if nothing was happening. I silently scooted closer. If I messed up now, they would lock me away somewhere I could never escape from. The other guard was now completely in the cockpit, whispering intently with the pilot. Now was my chance.

The European turned just in time for my knife to reach his neck. His eyes widened, and he gulped, taking in his situation.

"Parachute," I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear.

He didn't answer.

"Parachute." I pressed the knife harder into his neck, drawing a thin line of blood.

He gulped again, looking cross eyed at the knife, knowing he would either have to betray his vows to VENOM, or lose his life. His eyes moved across the beige walls, over to a set of doors, where I knew the exit was. I smiled, it was simple. Get to the parachute, get out the door.

Then I swung the knife, hitting him across the head with the handle. He grunted once, and then crumpled to the floor.

"Hey," I heard shouts from the cockpit. "What's going on back there? Hey!"

But they were to late. I was already through the doors with the parachute halfway on my back, falling into thin air, and the uncertain future.