Chapter 3

David

Waking up the next morning, I felt the weight of her on my chest, and I didn't want to let her go. I kissed her once again on the cheek, and slid out from underneath her. Sneaking across the hall to my own bedroom, If found a note folded twice, sitting on my nightstand.

Where'd you learn to kiss like that?

-Jo

I laughed and turned the note over, quickly writing a response. How she managed to get that in here in the middle of the night, I might never know.

I certainly didn't learn that in spy school.

I folded the small piece of paper back and slipped it under her door. I was just pulling on my oversized pants, when the lights started flashing.

"Code Black, Code Black."

I bust through the doors and was running down the hallway towards the meeting room, when I saw John O. Brennan making his way to another room

I followed close behind his tail, through unfamiliar hallways, and fingerprint locked doors.

"Mr. Brennan!"

I heard the shouts from up ahead. What was code black? What could it possibly mean?

"Almost there, Keith."

We rounded one last corner and then we were dumped out into a small, rustic room, with concrete walls. A short man in glasses, that must have been Keith, stood in front of a giant screen.

"Sir, we got a runner," he shouted, as I ducked behind an ancient dresser, peeking out from the side. "Monte Cassandra. He used to live happily in Brazil as a top member of VENOM. Jo got away. Now he's on the run."

Mr. Brennan casually pulled on his jacket. "Where's Mr. Cassandra now?"

"He's on his way to the airport, where he has a flight scheduled for Paris. Once he gets on that plane, we might never find him again."

"How fast can we get an agent there?"

"With the jet, we can get someone there in less than an hour."

"Great."

"Who-who did you have in mind, sir?"

My here John Brennan turned around at laughed at me. "I'll send David. He has to be better at that than hide-and-seek."

************

Mr. Brennan gave me literally two seconds to chose a partner. It took me nearly three seconds to stutter out her name, but I managed.

"Alrighty then," he replied. "Let's fire up the jet."