★Five★

Serene leaned against the railing, standing in the balcony, she watched the birds on the tree at one corner of the compound, they hopped from one branch to another chirping, some flapped their tiny wings and flew away only to come back again and chirp more.

She watched as a butterfly flew to her, it landed on the railing keeping as much distance, Serene watched it as it raised it's tiny wings and flew away, she smiled at it's beauty, wishing she could catch it and keep it to study it, it's vibrant colour made it hard to miss, she was distracted from her observation when a car door banged, she moved to the other side of the balcony, the one that gave full view of the gate, the entrance to the the mansion.

A girl with fair skin, that looked so spotless was hugging her aunt, it suddenly dawned on her that it was Emily, the girl she saw was nothing she had imagined, she was beautiful than she had imagined, Serene thought of going to meet her and welcome her, but she stopped remembering Cassandra's words.

So she found a spot where it would be hard for any of them to spot her from her balcony, and she watched as the other family welcomed Emily, wishing so much she was back at home with her parents, she wished they weren't dead.

____

The old lady stepped forward revealing herself to her granddaughter, Emily's eyes lit up at the sight of her favorite person, she went to hug her grandmother, happily squealing like a child, her stiletto heels clicked loudly as she moved, she dropped her hand bag into the hands of one of the maids, the poor maid quickly caught it before it fell to ground, the maid sighed with relief, thankful that the bag hadn't touched the ground.

Flora and Cassandra, who were ready to leave for school that morning, reluctantly stood by as they waited to welcome their sister, Cassandra looked away with disinterest typing away on her phone, Emily soon moved away from the old lady going next to meet her younger siblings, she hugged Flora tightly, making the girl choke.

She gagged as the strong smell of expensive perfume hit her nostrils and she wiggled to be free,  she finally breathed in fresh air relieved that her sister had left, Flora rushed to the driver awaiting them, she greeted the old man before taking her seat at the back, Cassandra followed right after her sister had given her a hug, a hug she didn't want, she would have pushed Emily away with much pleasure but her grandma terrified her.

As she sat at the back seat with Flora, she dropped her bag on the  floor folding her arms, the scowl on her face disappeared when she spotted Serene, she was at the balcony watching them.
Cassandra had taken a liking to her, she was beautiful and sweet,and she wished more than ever that Serene was her sister instead of Emily.

______

Serene still hadn't met Emily, she still hadn't met the real cruel and snobbish Emily, the one that liked to get what she wanted no matter what, even if it meant stepping on people's toes.

The apple of the old lady's eyes, Emily was manipulative as the old lady and she placed her self interest first.
The young lady strutted into the mansion barely sparing a glance at the servants who welcomed her, her head was raised high, with her shoulders stiff and straight, she walked with elegance and grace, her tall frame swayed slightly as she moved, her heels clicked rhythmically.

The servants made sure they didn't cross her, for to cross Emily Asantewaa Addoo is to sign for your death warrant.

She stepped into the spacious living room slumping into a seat and looked up at the servant standing by the sofa she had occupied, the maid quickly averted her gaze to the floor.

"Get me some water quickly" She ordered the maid who quickly scurried away to do as told.

Emily sighed happily, relieved to be back home, she crossed her long legs waiting for her mother and grandmother, the duo soon stepped into the room too, taking their seats in front of her, they begun their small talks mostly asking Emily how school was.

".... And how is your modelling career going? I hope it is not getting in the way of your academics?" The old lady asked her granddaughter.

"Oh it is well grandma,I even got to do some photoshoots with some famous models!" Emily gushed beaming at her grandmother.

"Your cousin also arrived two days ago, you should go and see her" Her mother cut in, Emily stood up totally forgetting about the water she had ordered the maid to bring to her.

"Yes. I totally forgot about her" she said with less interest, she had thought of going straight to her room to talk to her friends and then have some rest but it wouldn't be so bad to say hi to her sweet cousin.
She nodded at her mother and headed to the stairs ascending it faster.
She knew exactly where her cousin's room was, getting to the door that led to her cousin's room, she pushed the door open without knocking, she stepped in searching for the person she was to see.

_______

Serene stepped out of her closet, she stopped walking when she saw the person in her room, she felt nervous at the sight of the girl, the girl's eyes roamed the length of her body eyeing her with disinterest.

The girl begun moving towards her only to step aside and slump into the  couch at the corner of her room which was adjacent to where the bed was, Serene had no idea on what to do, so she smiled warmly stretching out her hand.

"It's nice to finally meet you Emily"
She said, her soft voice was softer and low, Emily looked at the girl's hand then at her pretty face, she reluctantly stretched out her hands too and shook it, she pulled her hand away just as fast as she had stretched it out for the stupid handshake and she quickly stood up towering over Serene.

"It's quite sad I don't feel the same way, I actually don't care, just don't cross me, and don't touch anything that belongs to me. I don't think we'll have a problem if you can be in your lane"
Emily said to Serene and surprisingly, her voice wasn't laced with anger or hate but she said it in a matter of fact tone and left the room.

Serene frowned at the girl as she left the room, confused and disappointed, she was very disappointed because she had hoped Emily was not as bad as Cassandra had said but now she saw it, with the way she had spoken to her, she decided to stay away from Emily just as the girl had wished.

She needed less drama and trouble in her life and the girl looked like one.