chapter sixteen: percy

That week, Annabeth and I were inseparable. It was Thanksgiving break, and on Friday we ran around shopping, then we went to the diner. On Saturday, we watched The Office all day at my house and helped my mom decorate for Christmas. Now it's Sunday night, and I'm sitting on Annabeth's bed trying to stop her from stressing about the band concert.

"Annabeth, we still have three weeks until the concert. You'll be okay," I tell her, but she doesn't seem to be listening. She paces the room, and I stand up and hold her arms to her side.

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"Stop stressing. I know that you're anxious about it, but I've heard you play. You're going to be fine. Okay?" She nods and I pull her in for a brief hug.

"Okay, I need a break from practicing. Let's do something," she tells me.

"Like what?"

"Let's go look at Christmas lights! I noticed a lot of houses already have them up." I grab my crutches as Annabeth grabs a jacket. I throw my keys and phone in my pocket and swing my jacket over my shoulders, following Annabeth out to the car.

"There's this one house down the road that programs their lights to a radio station," I tell her after I buckle my seatbelt. "They do it every year."

"Which way?" she asks, and I help her drive towards the house.

"It's so pretty," she says, pulling over to the side of the road.

"Wait, it gets better." I tune the radio to the station and watch as the lights flash along with the music.

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart," the music plays softly through the car, and I glance at Annabeth. Her face is glowing in rainbow hues with the lights, and her eyes are fixed on the house.

"Annabeth," I say quietly, and she turns to me. "Can I kiss you?" Her eyes trail to my lips, and she nods. I lean across the car and brush my lips against hers lightly. I pull away, trying to read her face. I'm unsuccessful.

"Oh screw it," she says before kissing me again. I smile softly and kiss her back, our lips moving in sync.

"Hey, Annabeth?" I ask as she pulls away.

"Hmm?"

"Can I take you on a date?"

"Yeah, yeah I'd like that." She smiles, and I smile too. I take her hand and we continue our Christmas light sight-seeing.

;;;

"Mom, I did it," I tell her when I get home that night.

"Did what, Sweetie?"

"I asked Annabeth out." I can feel the smile on my face, and she beams back at me.

"Oh, I'm so happy, I just knew you two were going to get together."

"Mom," I groan. "I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Honey." I walk up the stairs with a smile plastered on my face. I finally did it. I finally asked her out.

;;;

The week passed by miserably slow. We had planned a date for next Saturday, and I had asked Annabeth if I could surprise her. She seemed reluctant but agreed anyway. The whole week had been full of secrets. For some reason, we both agreed not to tell any of our friends. I think we both like the idea of this being our thing. Quick stolen kisses in between classes, smiles as Annabeth and I jammed out driving to and from school. Now it's Friday night, and I'm preparing everything for tomorrow. I want it to be perfect. Just like her.