chapter fifteen: annabeth

"I got my solo," I say in a singsong voice as I walk back towards Percy, he smiles and gives me a high five, his hand lingering on mine for a split second. The feeling sends shivers up my arm.

"Which piece is it on?" he asks, trying to snatch the paper from my hand.

"Sleigh Ride," I say, my smile growing even more.

"My favorite winter piece, just so you know." He smiles at me one last time as Mr. Fletcher calls for us to settle down, and I walk back over to my seat and grab my clarinet from its resting spot, wetting my reed one time before I lead the band through a chromatic scale.

;;

"Okay class, we have about 10 minutes left of class. Please pull out The Little Drummer Boy." I pull out the piece of music and lay it on my stand, then begin sight-reading quietly as Mr. Fletcher prepares his music.

"Okay, sight-reading the whole thing. One, two, ready? Go."

I fix my eyes on the piece and begin playing softly, my sound growing stronger as I gain confidence with the notes.

"That was pretty good, for our first time playing it," Mr. Fletcher says once we've finished. He dismisses us and I pack up my clarinet quickly and slip out into the hallway.

"Annabeth, wait for me." I hear Percy calling me and turn around. He seemed to have gotten a better hang of his crutches, but he still had a month with his cast.

"We're gonna be late, hurry up," We take slow steps towards the chemistry classroom.

"Are you excited about the concert?" he asks me.

"Yes, I'm so excited! Don't get me wrong, I'm super nervous, but I just need to practice a lot and I'll be able to play it."

;;;

Practicing was easier said than done. It was now 4 p.m. on Saturday, and for the last week, I had been playing nonstop. Not just Sleigh Ride, but all of our winter pieces. My days had consisted of volleyball and band, the nerves for tournament season and the concert taking over. I pick up my volleyball and pass to myself for a few minutes before I'm interrupted by a text in the group chat with Piper, Jason, and Percy.

"Guys, let's have a movie night," A text from Percy reads.

"I'm down if you guys are :)," Jason answers him, and I type out a text, telling them I'm too busy before deleting it and telling them I'm free. I need a break from the stress. We all agree to meet at Piper's house by 4:30, and I quickly change into sweats and a cropped sweater, considering I was still in pajamas. I throw my hair into a bun and grab my keys. My dad is in the kitchen when I walk downstairs, so I tell him I'm going to Piper's and hop in my car. I seem to be the last one to arrive because when I walk in, they're all comfortable on the couch.

"What're we watching?" I ask, plopping down in between Piper and Percy.

"I don't know, I think we should watch a Disney movie though," Jason answers.

"Tangled," Percy and I say at the same time. Piper opens Disney+ and clicks Tangled, playing the movie and snuggling closer to Jason. I yawn and sink into the couch cushions, Percy watching the movie intently.

"Is Tangled super interesting?" I whisper to him, and he turns to face me.

"Yes." He proceeds to lay down so his head is in my lap, his face still focused on the TV. I look over and see Piper and Jason whispering to each other. I give them a questioning look, but they just smile at me and tilt their heads towards the TV. I focus my attention back on the movie.

"Perce, can you move?" I ask him 30 minutes into the movie, and he lifts his head up, letting me stand up. I quickly run to the kitchen and grab a soda, not wanting to miss any of the movie. I sit back down on the couch and lean against Percy, who steals my soda and chugs it as soon as I look away.

"Hey!" I grab it from him, but it's already half empty. He lets out a big burp and gives me his lopsided grin.

"Screw you." I finish the rest of my soda, setting the can down. I readjust so I'm leaning against Perce, a sudden wave of exhaustion rolling over me. Unable to stay awake, I sink into the couch cushions and fall asleep.

"And at last I see the light." I hear Percy singing along as I yawn, and realize my head is leaning against his leg. He's playing with my hair, and the feeling makes me not want to move. I open my eyes and see Percy looking down at me, not paying attention to the movie.

"What?" I ask. When he notices me looking, I see his cheeks flush lightly.

"Nothing." He looks back up at the movie, which is almost over. I laugh lightly and turn my attention back to the movie. I can feel Percy's eyes on my head as he twirls my hair, and the thought makes me smile to myself.

;;;

"Annabeth I need another tutoring session. I'm coming over in an hour." I read the text over and over until I process it, before realizing the time on the text said Thursday, 4:23 p.m., and It was almost 5 o'clock. I had fallen asleep. I look at my reflection in my phone and realize I look like I just slept for three days, but I'm too lazy to make myself look better. I throw my hair into a messy bun and glance down at my outfit, a pair of jeans and a white fitted sweater, my outfit from the school day. Basic. I wipe off my smudged mascara and walk downstairs, grabbing an apple and a can of Coke. I sit down on the couch and wait for Percy.

"Hey, who drove you?" I ask as Percy crutches into the house.

"Paul," he says simply. I walk up to my room and sit down on my bed, pulling out my textbook.

"Okay, which assignment do you need help with?" I ask him.

"I don't know." He plops onto my bed and I roll my eyes.

"Well if you're not going to work, I need to practice."

"Practice what?"

"My solo." I pull out my clarinet and turn to Sleigh Ride. I notice Percy watching me as I prop up my music against my laptop. I play the piece, and when I'm done I glance over at Percy.

"What?" I ask, noting his emotionless expression.

"It was just so good. Didn't you get the piece like a week ago?" he asks, sitting up so he can see me better.

"Yeah. Now, I have Chemistry homework to do." I tell him, and he pulls out his textbook, complaining as we finish the notes and worksheet together.

"I'm going to die from this," he says as we finish up, and I laugh.

"Perce, we're literally almost done. Look, I'm done." He quickly copies down what I wrote and throws his textbook back into his bag.

"DONE!" he yells. I scoff at him and bury myself into my bed.

"I'm so tired," I say, looking over to see Percy copying my motion.

"Me too." I shove his shoulder and he pushes me back, resulting in me sitting up and body slamming him. I land sideways on him, and he groans.

"I win," I say in a singsong voice.

"No, you don't." He rolls over so he's on top of me. I try to squirm away, but he traps my arms.

"I think I win," he breathes.