𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

As I put my arms around Kōshi and my body around him, I shouted his name

As I put my arms around Kōshi and my body around him, I shouted his name. I can't let him lose. I can't.

Then I heard screams, which I assumed came from the people in the vicinity. Kōshi screamed, I swear. Then I felt my body being slammed against something that felt like a boulder, if not more.

I was in excruciating pain all throughout my body, but it didn't stop me from protecting Kōshi. I was falling, tumbling, and rolling with Kōshi on my arms. However, it did not lessen my grip on koshi.

I could hear the ambulance's loud siren and screaming, largely directed at the bystanders. I tried and tried to open my eyes, but I couldn't. Nothing appeared to be working.

I couldn't move a single muscle in my body, including my fingers and legs. It was as if their strings had been cut off, and I was a puppet. I was awake, but my mind was elsewhere. I'm wide awake the entire time. I was wide awake at the time.

My thoughts take me back to the ambulance. Is this how my father felt before he died? I'm not ready to leave Okaa-san just yet. Particularly Kōshi. I didn't even get the chance to tell him how much I adore him. I'd also like to see my father to see whether he's all right.

It's complicated.

Just like Okaa-san said, life was complicated. I guess mom was right.

She's always right.

Mom's sobs could be heard, pleading with me not to abandon her like dad. The paramedic assured her that I would be fine and that the hospital was close by. Kōshi. I'm not sure if he's okay.

I had no idea if he was still alive or not. Koshi's voice was not audible to me.

I genuinely hope he is unharmed.

...

Sugarawa Kōshi felt nauseous whenever he visited [Name] in the hospital.

He couldn't bear seeing [Name]'s mother cry while looking at his sleeping son. With a ping, the elevator door opened, and he headed straight to room #104. Once he opened the door, he saw that Seirin's Basketball Team had already arrived.

All attention was now at him.

It made his heart dropped.

"U-um...I'm Sugarawa Kōshi...I-I'm [Name]'s friend..." he stammered as the team stared at him, their faces as sorrowful as his. Then a short brown-haired female approached him from behind.

"I know this isn't the best moment for us to meet, Sugarawa-san. My name is Aida Riko, and I'm the coach of the basketball team. [Name] is always talk about you. We heard about what happen, and we hope you're okay," Riko said, as Sugarawa couldn't help but nod and wipe the tears from the corner of his eyes with his palms.

The rest of the group takes turns introducing themselves. They discussed anything that could ease their hearts in some way. Riko and the others said their goodbyes after about a half-hour, leaving him and [Name]'s mother alone.

"[Last Name] [Name] suffered several fractures throughout his body, primarily in his back ribs, as his back was facing the approaching truck. It damaged his lungs and caused internal hemorrhage in his brain. He got the most severe injuries, and it's a miracle he survived."

The doctor, who was holding a clipboard and a pen, stated. "Will my son wake up?" [Name]'s mother inquired, expectant eyes on the doctor's hand.

"Yes, but we don't know when he'll wake up from his coma. All we have to do now is pray," the doctor reassured the grieving mother. Sugarawa bowed and said, "P-please...do everything only to keep [Name] recover...please."

Sugarawa's eyes welled up with tears, but a hand on his shoulder prompted him to glance up. "Don't worry, son, we'll do our best," the doctor assured Sugarawa as he and [Name]'s mother hugged and mumbled a thank you.

 "Don't worry, son, we'll do our best," the doctor assured Sugarawa as he and [Name]'s mother hugged and mumbled a thank you