𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

It was entirely my fault

It was entirely my fault that [Name] was now in a coma. When I glanced at him, I noticed that he had several tubes connected to his body. His breathing was stable since he was wearing an oxygen mask over his nose and mouth.

He had bandages wrapped over his head, some on his face, and some on his arms to keep me from getting hurt. He took all of the hits that were intended for me.

It was intended for me.

Not for my love.

He looked so peaceful when he sleeps. I'd prefer him to be like that, not like this. I take his hand in mine, which was adorned with a ring, a silver band ring similar to mine that I wore with my necklace. It seemed like a promise ring to us.

"[Name]...sorry."

My voice trembled, and tears streamed down my face, landing on his palms. I should've seen the truck coming before it hit me and him. The frigid room was filled with the sound of the heart monitor and my sobs.

I miss him already.

...

Sugarawa's unusual behavior was noted by the volleyball squad.

They'd see the third year staring off into the distance and occasionally checking his phone, and they'd see Sugarawa constantly messing up during practice and occasionally getting struck in the face by a stray ball, which made them concerned about what was wrong with him.

"Are you okay, Suga-san?"

Kiyoko inquired of her fellow third year, who was currently seated on the bench, worried like the rest, and this did not go unnoticed by the others. "Hmm? Oh, I'm perfectly alright!" Sugarawa grinned, but no one noticed because it wasn't the typical smile he showed at them.

They watched as the setter ruffled his hair, effectively messing it up. He then reached into his shirt, where the necklace was hidden, and accidentally revealed it.

Sugarawa felt like crying again.

He, on the other hand, chose not to, at least not in front of his friends. He bit his lower lip, unable to utter any pain sounds.

He blinked his tears away as he shook his head. 'All you have to do is smile and no one will notice!' He smiled at them as he glanced at them. "What are you looking at? Let's practice!" He exclaimed as the others followed suit.

"Suga..." Daichi said, resting his hand on the latter's shoulder, who grinned back. "Hmm? What exactly is it?" Sugarawa inquired, perplexed, as Daichi narrowed his eyes at him, causing him to mentally panic.

'Please don't let them notice. I don't want their pity on me.'

"Has something happened to you recently because you've been acting strange?" Daichi inquired. "Nothing. Sugarawa reacted with a laugh, pushing the pain aside and feeling the need to cry on his friend's shoulder.

 Sugarawa reacted with a laugh, pushing the pain aside and feeling the need to cry on his friend's shoulder