Chapter 23: Never Enough

Warning  18+ Content Ahead

Six years earlier

Charles, Felicia, Hank, Alex, and the school's older students all gather in the newly built dining hall to celebrate Felicia's 30th birthday, something Felicia insisted on having as many of the students were drafted for the war and were leaving school first thing in the morning. 

The hall bustles with students and teachers alike dancing to the rhythm of the music played live by some students who formed their own band during their years at school. 

 "Well, shake it up, baby, now. Twist and shout Come on, come on, come, come on, baby, now." The band sings. 

"May I have this dance?" Alex asks holding out his hand to Felicia who's chatting with a group of female students. 

"Excuse me, ladies." Felicia apologises as she takes Alex's hand who spins her onto the dance floor.

Felicia dances happily in the arms of her best friend, Alex who twirls the birthday girl around to the beat of the song.

"Come on, come on, come, come on, baby, now. Come on and work it on out. You know you twist, little girl. You know you twist so fine. Come on and twist a little closer now. And let me know that you're mine, woo." 

As Felicia and Alex have the time of their lives, Charles watches from a nearby table smiling gleefully as he stares longingly at the love of his life.

"Excuse me," Charles says apologise to Hank who was talking about something or other before standing up.

Felicia watches as Charles approaches the band and 'Twist and Shout' ends a few lines early. Everyone then gathers on the dance floor as Charles takes the mike and clears his throat.

"One, Two, Three..." Charles commands. 

Thinking Charles is going to sing happy birthday Felicia looks around for the cake but as Charles begins singing backed up by the lead singer playing the ukelele, Felicia quickly turns back around now fully paying attention to her lover.

"Wise men say. 'Only fools rush in'. But I can't help falling in love with you..." Charles sings as the rest of the band joins in. "Shall I stay, would it be a sin? If I can't help falling in love with you." 

Felicia claps her hands over her heart swooning, as the love of he life sings her favourite song to her.

"Like the river flows. Shortly to the sea. Darling, so we go. Some things were meant to be. Take my hand, take my whole life too. 'Cause I can't help falling in love with you."  Charles continues to sing. "Like the river flows. Shortly to the sea. Darling, so we go. Some things were meant to be, oh."

Charles then takes the mike off the stand continuing to sing as he slowly walks across the floor over to Felicia who begins to tear up.

"Take my hand, take my whole life too." Charles sings as everyone apart from Felicia joins him for the chorus. 

"Cause I can't help falling in love with you. Cause I can't help falling in love with you." Everyone sings.

Charles stops right in front of Felicia as he finishes the song with only the ukelele backing him up.

"But I can't help falling in love with you." Charles then holds Felicia's hands in his as his eyes wander all over her body, taking her all in, taking a mental picture as if tonight will be the last he'll see her. "Feliciana Delacour, meeting you was like listening to a song for the first time and knowing it would be my favourite. Felicia, I love you more than words can describe."