58

It's been almost two weeks since I moved into the room and my anxiety isn't the only thing increasing; my tummy has grown to the size of a basketball and then some, and one of the baby's constant position on my bladder forced me to invest in pregnancy diapers.

Lucas is on a half-day, so we're on the porch swing, enjoying the cool mountain breeze. Sitting on here wasn't the best idea, as I've been needing help to get up, not used to the weight of my belly, but Nathan called that he's half an hour out and in excitement, Lucas all but dragged me out here to wait.

You'll basically be alone with him, this would be a good opportunity to tell him. Don't let your dad be the one to bring it up.

Lucas has his hands and an ear on my tummy, playing with it by poking certain spots and seeing if the babies respond. It hasn't gotten uncomfortable yet, so I let him have his fun, giving me space to sort through my thoughts.

"How are you today?" he's asking them, tapping beside my belly button.

"Don't tap too hard, bud," I tell him, rubbing his hair. Someone needs a haircut soon.

Eleven or so more weeks to go, is it bad that I'm over this?

Gravel crunches as a car pulls up the driveway, drawing Lucas' attention. "It's Nathan!" He exclaims, jumping off which makes the seat sway a little.

I grip the arms to steady myself and my emotions as Lucas bolts down the porch stairs, waiting for Nathan to park. Once he does and starts to open the door, Lucas rushes to him. Nathan must have seen him because he's out of the car in no time, swooping Lucas into his arms.

I can't help but smile as Nathan spins him around, causing Lucas to shriek with excitement. He blows a raspberry on his belly before placing him on his neck and walking to me.

I might be nervous to ask him to live with my dad into the start of our marriage, but I really did miss him, so I'm not surprised to find my face heating up as he gets closer, his warm gaze on me.

"Hey, Lise," he greets as he steps onto the porch, a smile on his lips.

"Hey, Nathan," I respond, chewing on my lower lip as butterflies fill my stomach.

"Are you guys going to kiss?" Lucas giggles, scrunching his nose and blowing a raspberry.

"You really are Diana's brother, huh?" Nathan chuckles, tickling him and carrying him down.

"So cheeky," I laugh, reaching forward to flick his nose lightly.

He grins and hides behind Nathan, wrapping his arms around his torso.

"No hug for me babe?" Nathan says playfully, raising an eyebrow.

"No hug for me babe?" Lucas repeats, peaking at me and making us laugh.

"I think Lucas is giving us enough love for the both of us," I say, shaking my head. "He obviously really missed you. Plus, how am I going to hug you?"

I gesture to the size of my belly and his eyes widen. "Wow ... I mean, you look good though."

I roll my eyes and smile, rubbing the belly. "I can't tell which is worse between the first and third trimester. The weight, the swelling of my feet and fingers," I say, showing him my ringless finger. "The fake contractions, the back pain; it's insane."

"Well, that's what I'm here for," he says, reaching to help me stand up. "Make sure you're super comfortable and happy."

"I hope you don't go crazy," I joke, standing slowly.

"Come on, Nathan lemme show you my room," Lucas says, probably tired of being left out of the conversation.

"How bout we go get lunch ready while he gets his stuff out of the car?" I say, shifting his arms off Nathan.