Chapter 20

In Royalty, Rules Are Meant to Be Followed

Now that newlyweds Duke and Duchess of Hastings have left London, we are left behind with the most powerful and perfect love match of this year's season, The Princess Royal and the newly Duke of Kent.

It is said the eldest son of every noble family bears all the responsibility and duty on his shoulders.

With the Princess' hand comes great responsibility, and finally, the second eldest of the Bridgerton family will face the greatest task of all. A task that usually breaks marriages and relationships in the Royal Family: duty.

Settling duty over love is historically shattering.

Carlton House, London

"One of your many palace's menservants went to my house, saying that you seek my presence," Charlotte turned around and was met with her handsome betrothed. "And here I am."

Luna went to greet Benedict before Charlotte had the chance. The royal pet stood in her two paws and leaned on the Duke's thighs for support. Luna moved her head and barked with much excitement as he greeted her.

"Hello, Luna!" He crouched down to the dog's level and petted her head. The sight of her dog being so happy and their interaction melted Charlotte's heart. "You seem happy to see me even though I have only seen you once."

"Perhaps she knows how much I care for you," she smiled. "And she has grown fond of you as well."

"Perhaps," he nodded and stood up to properly greet her.

They were alone in one of the many unoccupied drawing rooms of the palace. And the soon-to-be Duke of Kent and Strathearn didn't hesitate to do what he did. Without a warning, he cupped her face in his hands and pressed his lips against her. She giggled against his lips in surprise, and with confidence, she kissed him back.

"Colin may give cozy hugs," she got on her tiptoes and pecked his lips. "But you are certainly kissable, my love."

"Is that so?" He smirked and sighed. "If only I could kiss you more often..."

"You know very well we cannot," she sighed and took a step back from him. "Which is the reason of your presence."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"As much as I would like to explain it all to you, in a lovely and patiently way, I was told I could not," she said sincerely. "This is a meeting with my Private Secretary, soon to be yours as well, Sir Thomas Ward."

"You've never mentioned him," he said and she shrugged.

"I did not see a need. He doesn't accompany me everywhere I go like Martin does, but..." She sighed with a small smile. "Well, who am I to explain his obligations, I am sure he will explain everything."

Then, one of the doors of the room opened.

"Sir Thomas Ward, Your Royal Highness," the palace's footman informed them, Charlotte nodded and smiled when her Private Secretary walked in the room. "Would you like me to inform the servants to get you some refreshments, or perhaps tea?"