Chapter 21

An Unapproved Engagement

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss one of its most-remarked-couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Primrose Hill, London

"I wonder what Daphne is doing at this very moment," Hyacinth looked at her mother.

"I am sure she had many duties to attend to as duchess, things you should be learning for your debut," Violet told Hyacinth, but most importantly to Eloise, who scoffed.

"Making simpering conversation, pretending not to wince, every time a man treads on my toes during a waltz?" She stated sarcastically, and Charlotte chuckled softly.

"Eloise!" Violet was going to say a few things, but got distracted when Gregory lightly hit Hyacinth and the two ran away after each other.

"I'm no good at those things. I'll only make a fool of myself," Eloise stated.

"I am sure it will not come to that, El," Charlotte said sincerely. "You are just as capable as Daphne to receive a compliment from the Queen, and have all eyes on you during the whole season."

"Your Royal Highness, you are just making it worse for me and my nerves," she looked at her in disbelief.

"If you devoted as much time to your deportment lessons as you did to writing in your journal, you might feel rather better," Violet stated calmly. "And on that subject, in preparation for your season, it is time we lowered your skirts to wear at home."

"I have no time to visit the modiste, I am busy," Eloise remarked to her mother. "The Queen herself has charged me with discovering Whistledown's identity. You would not have me cross Her Majesty, would you?"

"Did she?" Charlotte asked and the Bridgerton girl nodded. "Careful, El. My mother is not the most patient person in this world."

The sound of glass clinging caught everyone's attention.

"May I have everyone's attention?" Colin asked loudly, and when he noticed everyone staring, he continued. "I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

People started to exclaim happily, while the Bridgertons, including Charlotte, and except for Colin and his two youngest brother and sister, stayed quiet and with their jaws on the ground. The Featheringtons were more than overjoyed, and everyone started to applaud.

"Did you know about this?" The Viscount asked his mother, who was as shocked as him.

"People are looking, dear," she faked a smile. "Congratulate the happy couple."

"Did he just—"

"Yes, he did. Come on," Benedict placed his hand on his betrothed's back and the two walked to congratulate Colin and his intended. But he only chuckled at her face. "At least pretend that you are happy for them as my mother is doing."

"Who says that I am not happy for them?" Charlotte scoffed, and sighed when he raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm just...shocked."

"As I am," he said sincerely, and finally reached his brother and Marina's side. "Congratulations are in order, Brother. Miss Thompson."

"It is an honor to be congratulated by you, Your Royal Highnesses," Marina made a curtsy with a smile.

"Of course. Thank you, Brother," Colin nodded at them with a smile. "And you, Char, my soon-to-be sister."