Chapter 16

The Reconciliation

Carlton House, London

The words 'sleep', 'think', or 'peace', were not in Charlotte's vocabulary at the moment. She couldn't stop pacing around the room, no matter how much Fatima, Lilia, Cora and Martin tried to calm her down.

"Your Royal Highness, would you like some tea to calm your nerves?" Cora asked, but the Princess shook her head. "Macaroons?"

"As tempting as that may be, no. No, Cora, thank you," she breathed and finally stop pacing. "Help me change into my riding clothes, I need to go to the Bridgerton's."

"At this hour? So late at night?" Fatima asked. "Princess, I—"

"I really need to go," she stated with pleading eyes and looked at her guard. "You were there with me, Martin. You saw the Viscount and the Duke. I need to know if Daphne is alright, and what...what is to happen."

"I will help," Lilia took a step forward, and everyone looked at her in disbelief, except for Charlotte. "If you..."

"Thank you, Lilia," she smiled, and looked at Fatima, who was the 'head' of all her maids. "Please, Fatima. For my sanity."

Her maid rolled her eyes and sighed, but eventually nodded and helped the Princess off the dress she wore at the ball, and into comfortable and cozy riding clothes, without a corset, so she could be more comfortable and breathe properly. Charlotte undo her hair, took off her earrings, necklace, and her tiara.

"What now?" Cora asked now that she was ready.

"Now... I will go to the Bridgerton household, alone, you are all staying here," she stated calmly. "And whatever happens from here on, you are going to say I am in my room, taking a bath, or promenading, or angry, or depressed, or– I don't know. Say whatever you think it's best."

"Your Highness, this is not wise for you to go on your own," Martin looked at her with worry in his eyes. "Allow me to come with you."

"You're always with me, Martin. Since I was a child you have taken care of me..." She sighed with a small smile. "Allow me to take care of myself, at least this once."

Nobody wanted to let her go, but Fatima and Martin, who have known her since she was a child, know how stubborn she can be. But eventually, they did let her go, through the horses' barn. She hopped on Snow, and galloped quickly towards the Bridgerton House.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Bridgerton House, London

Once outside, Charlotte stopped in front of the house, and remembered what happened the last time she was there.

"Nothing happened, Benny, we were just—"

"I told you not to call me that," he stated and scoffed. "And here I thought we had something special."

"Had?" She choked out the words.

"I can see where your heart lies, quite clearly," he stated. "And it is not with me, as I thought it was."

Charlotte started breathing heavily and a few tears escaped her eyes. But she was not leaving until she has spoken with Daphne. At least with her.