Thirteen

Ines had never seen so many people gathered at her home. It had always been small family gatherings that happened, but tonight there were many more people. She didn't even know at least half of the people that were in attendance for her birthday.

"Who even are these people?" Ines asked her husband who was sipping a glass of red wine.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I had Ophelia send out invitations to our contacts and those of the wealthiest families in the city," Alessio replied nonchalantly.

A string in Ines's heart pulled at the mention of his assistant. Although it seemed as if nothing had happened between them, she still felt a touch of jealousy. She was a young and pretty woman.

Ines though knew that she, herself, was beautiful and even Alessio couldn't deny that. Her 5'10 height could intimidate anyone, especially when she added heals. She held a model figure. She knew the power she held, but when it came to Alessio she would shy away. She cursed the feelings that coursed through her body for him. She had also lately been feeling sexually frustrated. Her one night of passion with Richard had restarted a flame that had been dimmed for too long. Every time she laid eyes on Alessio she wanted to rip his clothes and have a taste of what he had to offer.

She had always imagined herself underneath him, countless nights wishing he would take her in his bed.

"You look lovely in that dress," Alessio pointed at her fitted maxi bodycon dress. Alessio loved how red looked on her and that slit that rose almost to her thigh was showcasing her long tan legs.

Ines flushed and turned her head away from him so he wouldn't see her reaction. He had disturbed her sinful daydream.

It was too late to hide her reaction, without her noticing Alessio had already seen her face and body's reaction to his compliment.

For the last few days, he had been spending more time with her; inviting her to join him for lunch on his breaks and arriving earlier from the office to be able to sit down for dinner with her. He was allowing himself to open up to her and to enjoy her company. He was tired of keeping himself away from his wife. She was his and he wanted to make her his in every way possible. He had even planned a lavish dinner date for them that she had yet to know about. Jealousy was a strong force that had flipped his switch.

As of recently, he couldn't even think of another woman in his arms. It had been a while since he took on a mistress since he had tired of his last.

Those women came and went, but Alessio was drained of just the physical. He desired something more. He frightened himself with those desires. He had never been one that needed anything more than intercourse. But when Bianca, his last mistress, would not want to talk and hold conversations with him he knew that his bachelor lifestyle was coming to an end. He was aging and to his luck, he already had a wife, one he had put to the side for too long. Five excruciating years he knew she lived in loneliness. What had he done to the beautiful girl thrown into his arms?

He remembered how lively she was when they first met. Full of energy. He had rejected all of her advances to know each other and as time went by, that light in her eyes perished and he let it slip right through his fingers. Maybe it was the fact that he was growing and observing her from a distance. He was always afraid to act that he took on to the affection of lovers instead of his dear wife. He didn't want to hurt her by taking her and then being bored of her, but he hurt her by ignoring her presence all of those years.

Alessio had never loved anyone in his life. He believed love was for the feeble. That's why he was fearful to let Ines in. What if he enjoyed her at first but then didn't? Or what if she got tired of him? How did people love for so long without boring their partner's company? There was a small part of him that was also afraid of the possibility to love. What if he ended up letting his guard down and letting himself love?