Chapter 35

Sunday

"What do you mean you'll be looking for a new apartment?" Jessica queried in a shocked tone.

Around ten minutes ago, Ashley had called her to ask when was her best friend's flight back to New York because Ashley didn't want to be alone in the apartment for too long. With everything happening between her and Joey, Ashley didn't feel comfortable living in the same building as him any longer. So, during winter break, she had been thinking to go on apartment hunting once she got back to New York.

Ashley sighed. "I'm sorry, Jess. I just can't stand living across the hall from Joey anymore. I want to stay away from him and move on."

"But how about me?" She could hear a pout in Jessica's voice.

"You could come live with me again in a new apartment," Ashley offered. "But it's up to you. You could stay if you want, even though I hope we can still be roommates. You know how picky I am when it comes to roommate."

"You're always picky when it simply comes to people, Ashley."

Ashley rolled her eyes, but she didn't complain because Jessica was right.

"Come on, Ash, I love our apartment," Jessica whined on the other line. "I'll keep that asshole away from you."

With a dry chuckle, Ashley said, "Thanks, but don't bother, Jess. After all was said and done, I'll be the one who walks out."

"Did he apologize to you?"

Ashley shook her head then realized that Jessica couldn't see her. "No. And truth be told, I never even blocked his number. So, he had a chance to apologize to me anytime, but he didn't."

"Son of a bitch," Jessica cursed under her breath. "Next time I see him, I'll kick him right in the nuts."

"Just let it go, Jess," Ashley smiled miserably. "Everything between us was so wrong on many levels. Besides, I met a guy at New Year's Eve party."

Jessica gasped. "Really?"

"Mm-hm."

"How's he like? Tell me everything!" Jessica demanded in agog.

"Remember this New Year's Eve party my dad's foundation was holding that I told you about?"

"Oh, so you finally attended?"

"I never planned to at first, but my dad was very persistent for me to come, so I did eventually. When I was at the party, Mr. France Ambassador introduced me to his son and I realized it was a set-up. I could see from the way my dad praised this guy all highly in front of me that he likes him a lot."

"Describe him."

"Well, he's French—obviously, good looking, twenty-eight-or-something years old, works for the UN, plays tennis and golf for sport and apparently his favorite drink is Martini. You know, just one of those typical act-too-square people like my dad."

"I see you have a type now, huh?"

Ashley's eyebrows puckered. "What's that supposed to mean?" But she knew precisely what and who Jessica meant because when she had been talking to this guy that night, deep down inside she surreptitiously couldn't stop thinking about who Joey was talking to or what he was doing at the exact same time.

"You tell me."

"Listen, Jess. Whatever I was feeling toward Joey, I'm trying not to feel it anymore. I don't care if he went off partying hard with his friends and random girls at a bar on New Year's Eve," Ashley stated which unexpectedly came out very bitterly.