Chapter 33

"Scar?"

Scarlett's eyes couldn't believe who she was seeing outside the building. It was Harley in black leather shearling jacket over white t-shirt and a pair of black jeans with three takeaway cups in one hand. The look on his face was enough to tell her that he was as aghast as she was. Holding her breath, she dodged past him without saying anything.

"Scar, wait!" Harley called out.

But Scarlett didn't stop walking away from him. It was hard to look him in the eye after what had happened. Suddenly, on her way climbing down the doorsteps, someone tugged at her arm and spun her around. Her head was down and her mouth was locked.

Please, don't talk to me. I'm trying to forget you, her conscience wished.

"Scar, please," Harley said softly. "Why are you avoiding me? Did I do something wrong to you?"

Slowly turning to him, Scarlett was so close to blurting her feelings out, but she held it back behind her tongue instead. It was better to just finish this encounter very soon. All of a sudden, a ringtone blared from inside his jacket that they both jumped. Releasing her arm, he took his phone out of his pocket and once he looked at the screen, he put on an apologetic look.

"Sorry, it's Joey. I got to take this."

With that, she thought it was her cue to leave so she nodded as she stammered, "O- okay, I better get going, anyway."

"Where are you going?" Harley asked as his hand holding the phone reached for her arm again, standing before her.

"Uh... I- I'm going out with... Liam," Scarlett lied before she could control herself. For the second time, somehow Liam's name was the first thing that had popped up in her head. This should be the last time she involved him into this problem.

"Oh." Harley's grasp on her arm loosened. "Okay, enjoy your date, then."

When disappointment pasted on his face, Scarlett hoped it wasn't a mistake. She hoped he would say that he didn't want her to go, kiss her and tell her that he loved her. But until she started inching away, he just stood still there doing nothing. For a moment, she couldn't lie that she thought he was jealous, but it turned out to be the dumbest thing she had ever thought.

But suddenly, without any warning, someone grabbed her arm again, twisted her body around and the next thing she knew was her lips met someone's lips. Everything came about in a split second and before she could digest what was happening, the person had already pulled away. Harley stood close awkwardly from her as he looked away, twitchy.

Her heart started thumping fast and her face went hot. Would this be the moment she was waiting for all this time? But right when his mouth croaked to talk, the front door of dormitory building flung open and a blonde girl wheeling out a cabin luggage appeared, panting, as she hastily shouted, "Come on, Harley, we're going to be late for our flight!"

Scarlett's eyes immediately fell on the girl as she gasped. It felt like the time stopped ticking while they stared at the blonde girl who froze up there looking as shocked as them. Definitely different girl from the park a few days ago. What happened the next second was Scarlett's feet rocketed away as fast as they could without her realizing it while her heart was barbed very badly that made tears roll down her face.

How could he do that to her? How could he kiss her when he was actually picking up another girl there? Was she just a joke to him? Was she just another toy for him? If loving him hurt her so much, she wished she had never fallen for him. But it was too late. And now she wished hating him would be as easy as he caused the exquisite pain in her heart.

***

Jessica startled when Ashley barged into their apartment sobbing. Before Ashley scuttled across the living room to her room, Jessica rapidly intercepted her. Ashley melted to her embrace.