Chapter Seven

I watch her finally sleep in peace. She's so bruised up. She has so many cuts. How could I let this happen? How could her family let this happen?

She insisted to the nurse that I'm her only family. I don't understand, but I said nothing because she seemed in a lot of despair. I didn't want to make it worse for her.

She barely eats anything. I'm worried she won't be strong enough for her medication. She's always in pain and the nurse said that if she doesn't eat, she can't give her the medication she needs for her pain. Dear cried a lot last night. I couldn't find any way to comfort her and my heart broke.

Now...I run my thumb gently over her cold hand as she quietly sleeps. My blood boils for who did this to her.

"Hello. You are her..." Another nurse comes in and I tiredly say, "I'm her boyfriend."

"Does she have a family?"

"She does, but she doesn't want them to know."

"Why is that?"

"I don't know, man. Can you please just leave?"

He clenches his jaw and comes over to gently sit by my side. He looks at Dear and says, "We need to know what happened with her. If it's a matter of abuse, then the police need to step in."

"I'll talk with her. She opens up with me."

"Thank you. We only want to help her. No matter how it is. So...please reach out to me once you have information." He gives me a soft pat on my shoulder and exits the room.

I look at Dear when I feel her move a little. She groans and I know that she is slowly feeling that strong pain she describes again. I gently sit by her side and say, "Hey there...." I put a kiss on her bruised cheek and see her furrow her brows in pain.

She finally opens her eyes and tears are at the edge of them. "You need to call the nurse."

"You need to eat first."

"I don't want...to eat, David. I need...It hurts..." She whimpers and puts a hand on her side.

I quickly press the button for help and the same nurse that scared her comes in. "Hello. How can I help?"

"It hurts," Dear says now. "It really hurts. Please help me."

"I can't. You have an empty stomach and it will hurt worse."

"I don't care!"

"Hey." I quickly hold her hand and stop her from yelling again. "You need to eat, Dear. Just eat an applesauce or even a sandwich."

"No..." Tears flow out as she closes her eyes in frustration. "I don't want to eat..."

"But why? Does your throat hurt?" She shakes her head and just lets out a sob. The nurse sadly goes next to her and gently says, "Can you at least agree to eat pudding?" Dear sniffles and nods at her. She smiles at Dear and leaves the room.

I run a hand down her head as she tries to calm down from her sorrow. I put a kiss on her forehead and give her a small smile. "You need to take a deep breath, baby. Just like that."

"They haven't told my parents, right?"

I shake my head and her muscles relax. I clench my jaw at this girl I barely recognize. I'm afraid of what I've gotten myself into. But that love I saw back at the golf place comes back and I kiss her fingers for her to warm up. The nurse comes back with a small container of pudding and I give her a thankful nod. Once she's gone, I open the pudding and prepare a spoonful for her to eat.

"I don't like pudding," she softly says.

"Well...you have to eat," I say. "Please, Dear. If you want your pain to go, then you have to eat."