Day Nine

How stupid I am. I broke in front of her and now she'll have pity for me. I kicked myself for crying in front of her and giving away some of my secrets.

But it felt good telling her some of my feelings.

I wish I could go back and suck it up. I wish I could have never gone to the library. I always go alone. Why think she'll like it? My sister used to call me a weirdo whenever I'd come out with a bag of books with her by my side. Now I believe her.

My hand falls from the book I was going to grab from the school's library. I think I won't be able to take Dear anywhere today. I'm feeling too sad today and I can't make her feel worse. The reason that I'm doing this is to show her the color in life. How will I do this when I'm feeling gray today?

I send her a text that I'm busy today and I won't be able to see her. But then a minute after, I quickly erase it. No. If I don't take her anywhere it could ruin it all. I have to keep it up until she's convinced to stay alive. I take a breath and suck it up. I've done it for the past two years. I can do it now.

I take the book and check it out. As I make my way towards my next class, I see Dear run up to me. Her brown eyes shine with worry as she says, "Hey. What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"You sent in that you can't today and then you deleted the message."

Oh woah. She's quick.

I scratch my head and say, "Nothing. I saw that I mixed up my schedule from yesterday's."

Dear stays quiet and observes my eyes. She's good. Of course, she is. She's an artist. They see every inch of what's in front of them. Dear does a small smile and says, "If you're not feeling well today, I understand."

"I'm fine."

She eyes me for a second and says, "It's okay, David. We all need a break once in a while."

"I'm fine, Dear."

"No, you're not. You look sad. And I know when someone is sad. Trust me."

I sigh and say, "I'll be alright. I promise. I'll meet up with you by your house?"

"No. I work today, but I was thinking maybe I could take you somewhere?"

I suddenly stop and raise my eyebrows at her. "You?"

"Yeah!" she says with a playful smile. "I like taking walks. We could take a walk where I really like to walk at. It's near downtown and I'm sure you'll like it."

I let out a scoff and furrow my brows at this. "Oh. Are you sure? You won't be too tired from work?"

"I don't have to do my other job today. So I'll be free early! Meet up with me on the same street you left me on that day."

I laugh at this and say, "I'm sorry about that--"

"I know you are. I'll see you later." My heart skips a beat when she takes my hand and gives it a light squeeze before walking off.

I let the day pass by with a hint of hope. Curiosity roams in my head as I drive up to the spot she told me to meet up with her. I furrow my brows at the area she works in. This is a really scary spot; at least for a girl. Why would her parents allow her to work around here?

But there she is with a shiny smile. She sits in and says, "Alright. Here's the address."

She shows me her phone and I nod. "Let's go then."

We quietly get to the thrift store she told me to stop at. She then enters and says, "You have to get a coat with a sixties style to it. I'll be back." I watch her go into the woman's section and disappear.

This is a little weird, but I always enjoy wearing sixties clothes. So I look through several racks until I choose one and try it on. I see her come out of her dressing room and smile at my outfit. "I like it."

I look at her outfit and a smile starts on my lips, too. "You look quite alluring." She laughs at this; remembering one of my letters and how hard it was for me to say beautiful to her. She then walks into her dressing room and comes out with her regular clothes. We walk together to the cash register and I softly ask her, "Do you get your clothes here?"

"Yeah. Why?" She suddenly seems shy and I smile at her.

"That's nice." Gosh. Why am I so gloomy today? It's usually the other way around, but she understands me more than anyone.

She smiles at me and goes back to the dressing room. "We have to dress up again so it can fit the style of the city."

Oh, I see what she's trying to do. I nod at her and change out. I then find myself walking along a sidewalk similar to yesterday's place. With a row of lamp posts and it seemed to have rained over here. Downtown is such a wonderful place. It almost feels like we're on another side of the country.

I quietly enjoy the feeling of having Dear by my side and I observe the way she knows so well where we're going.

She eyes me at one point. "I thought I'd never see you so sad. You're usually the smiley one."

"Am I?" I say with a chuckle. "Well, now you know what brings me down."

"Do I?" she says with a hint of tease.

I laugh at this and say, "You are quite spesh, Dear."

"You are quite spesh, Dear," she teasingly says. Her eyes shine with playfulness and I laugh at this.

She does a small skip and does a pose that I've seen in a ballerina. Her fingers gracefully stay up as she says, "Smile, David. Smile and light up this gray world, mister!"

I laugh as she does a small twirl and I notice how well she does it despite the high heels she's wearing. "Are you a dancer?"

"No. But I like to think I am."

"You certainly dance like one."

A blush starts at her cheeks and I bring out a hand for her to take. This time, she doesn't hesitant, and I quickly bring her close to me and stay in a position to dance. She laughs at this and we slowly start to dance together. She grows surprised as she says, "Are you a dancer?!"

"No. But I like to think I am. It makes me smile."

This makes her eyes shine and not even the moon is as beautiful as she is now. Dear hums a small melody I immediately know what it is as she slowly starts to sing it out loud. Smile. From Nat King Cole.

I love his music, but it's not the song that brings my heart to melt. It's her voice. It's so beautifully orchestrated. And I close my eyes as I hear her wonderful melody. How does no one see this? How does the world not know about this beautiful person?

I open my eyes as she continues to sing to me. I softy say, "Has anyone told you that you are beautiful?"

I finally said it. The word seems so easy to say as she stops singing and lets a smile start on her lips. The song stays in our heads as she lets me twirl her. She does a small giggle and I playfully say, "Here comes the grand ending!"

"Oh wait!" But I still bend her over and she lets out a loud laugh. Even though she was not ready for the back bend, she is quite flexible and still manages to do a half bend.

And just like that, I fall in love with her laughter as I bring her back up.