Day One

I hear a light knock on my door. I get up from my bed and see my mother standing on the other side. Her sad eyes shine with guilt and her smile barely reaches her eyes.

"Hey."

"Hey, Mom." I open the door wider for her to enter and I go back to reading my book.

She watches me read for a moment before doing a long sigh. "I came here to say that I'm sorry."

I look up and furrow my brows. "For what?"

"For the other day. I yelled at you like it was your fault that she...But it isn't. It's nobody's fault. It was her decision."

Now I remember. That day I broke. That day I hurt my fist. That was a bad idea. It still hurts, but I give my mother a small nod and shrug. "It's okay, Mom. I know you didn't mean it."

"But I just..." She struggles with her words as her eyes start to fill up with tears. "I just don't want to lose you, too..."

My heart grows soft at this and I gently scoot to where she's at so I can hold her close to my chest. She starts to sob and I run my hand gently down her head. She catches her breath and says, "I don't understand, David. I just don't want to be a bad mom and have you leave me, too."

"No, Mom. Don't say that." I gently pull away so she could see me. "You are the best and the most loving person I've ever known. It's because of you that I want to be better. It's because of you that I want to help others. Mom. You are amazing and it was her choice to not appreciate what you've done for us."

Mom sniffles and wipes her tears away. "But what if she did what she did because I wasn't enough?"

I shake my head at her. "No, Mom. You are enough. But she was too blind to see it. And...and I'm sorry..."

Now my mother furrows her brows at me. "For what?"

"For being blind, too." These words seem so heavy on my lips that I have to look down so they don't hurt as much. "I could've stopped it on that day and I was too blind to see it. To see her. I'm sorry..."

Tears slowly fall down my cheeks and my mother gently cleans them away. Her eyes shine with tenderness as she says, "You are the best thing that's ever happened to me and I am so proud of you. You've kept us strong. And I don't know what I'd do without you, honey. You have done nothing wrong..."

I fight back a sob and nod at her. "I hope you're right, Mom..."

"Come here." Now I let my head fall on her shoulder as she holds me close. Quiet tears stain her sweater and we stay silent until our embrace eventually brings back the warmth in my room.

When we finally pick up the pieces, we pull away and smile at each other with new relief. We even exchange scoffs as we wipe our tears away.

"Did you end up giving that package to the police?"

"Yes, but I didn't mind if they didn't have an answer. I decided not to dwell in the past so much." She puts a warm hand on my cheek and I smile at her. "What are you reading?"

"Oh." I bring over my book and show it to her. "Charles Dickens. Great Expectations."

"Oh. I saw your father read this once. Back when we were very young. He loved this book. I never really understood the message of it."

"Me neither. That's why I'm rereading it." We share a small laugh and fall quiet again. I watch as Mom seems to remember something and reaches over to the other side of her lap. She takes out an envelope and puts it in my hand.

"This is for you."

I look down at the envelope with furrowed brows and realize that it's from Dear. Oh no. I was angry at the moment and I cut her off! I quickly start to open it and Mom does a small giggle. "It seems like someone is quite special for you to drop that book."