Chapter Two

It all makes sense now.

Now I know why all of this happened.

He's been terribly quiet. 

But those green eyes and that gentle smile stop me from walking away. It stops me from putting down my paintbrush.

Today, he is oddly quiet. I found him in the library. Now I know that's where he sorrowfully hides away. He was looking at a book and I found the chessboard. With this, he quietly sat in front of me and decided to play.

Just like this chessboard, the pattern makes sense as I connect all the dots. He's been doing this to save me because he lost his sister.

I should feel betrayed. Or even angry that he didn't tell me from the beginning. But I understand his sorrow.

So I gently push his king over and his eyes finally look at me. I give him a small smile and softly say, "What's going on, David? You are always so talkative."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No. That's a girl thing."

I chuckle at this and say, "Well. It suits you."

He does a small sigh and scratches the back of his head. With this, I know he's finding the right words. I'm surprised when he starts with, "I'm sorry."

"About what?"

"For blurting it out on you. I hope you didn't get offended."

"I'm not. But everything makes sense now." Fear runs through his eyes. Fear of losing me. My heart melts for his worried expression and I give him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry. I'm not angry about it. And I'm sorry for your loss, David. I...it was crazy to think that..."

"That's why I ran to you. I couldn't...I wouldn't let it happen on my watch again. Not when I had the ability to help!"

I still remember that day. It was such a dark day that even my memory of it is so gray. But then he came and it brought light to my whole life.

I lean closer to him and softly say, "I'm glad you ran to me. You saved me, David. I owe you my life."

He shakes his head. "You don't owe me anything--"

"I really do! You taught me to see color in such a dark world. You taught me to be strong just like you."

His expression softens and I can see the way his heart melts through his eyes. "Who would have known that I'd fall in love with you?"

I scoff at this as I move a piece around. "Love? Now that's a strong word to use."

His eyes shine at my comment and a smile slowly starts to form on his soft lips. "Huh...is that a challenge?"

"Hm?"

"You don't believe in love?"

I chuckle and say, "I know love exists but not for everyone. Certainly not for me."

He furrows his brows and sadly says, "Why do you say that?"

"Because it's true, David. There's not much explanation to it."

"What if I told you I love you?"

"It's barely our first week together and you think you love me?"

"Why not? I loved you from the moment you made the first stroke on the piece of paper."

My heart wants to fly but I don't let it be as I give him a small smile. "I don't want a misconception to ruin what we have."

"Then what do we have?"

"Happiness."

"I'd say love as well."

I stay quiet as I look at the chessboard. They all stand firm just like my walls. He's put down some of them, but love is a thorny wall that hurts anyone that climbs over it. From either side.

He comes closer to me and lays a soft kiss on my cheek. My whole body shivers from his warmth. My heart jumps at the feeling of his lips on my skin and I put my lips on his instead. 

When we pull away, I give him a smirk and say, "How did we get from your sister to love?"

"I prefer to talk about love than about my sister."

I see that anger again in his expression and I notice his jaw clench. I move a piece around as I say, "I think you're not ready to let her go because you're just angry."

"I'm not angry."

"You said a while ago that you're angry about her. That's not letting you--"

"That's not right."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because. I let her go a long time ago."

"Then have you stepped in her room already?" He stays silent at this and I give him a nod. "You have not let her go yet. Why are you so angry?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Well look how the tables have turned..."

His eyes look back at my teasing smile. He remembers the first conversation we had together after he stopped me. He does a small scoff and nods. "I guess you're right."

I stand as I make a brave move on the board. "You know...I'm not gonna push you like you did with me. I'm not saying you did wrong. Your pushing saved me. But in this case, healing takes longer than saving. Just as you did with me, I'll be there. No matter what. Except you can't slam a book in my face."

He laughs loudly at this and people around us shush him. He lifts an apologetic hand and smiles. "Sorry."

I quietly giggle and say, "Checkmate. And that's how you win the game. See you later, David." I put a kiss on his cheek and leave with a smile at the last sight of his surprised face.