On Top of the World

Downstairs Gill and Joyce were in full swing cooking breakfast as they methodically danced around each other whilst monitoring various pots and pans.

"Morning." Gill beamed excitedly as she spotted Kat and Debbie heading towards them.

Debbie groaned leaving Kat to respond for them both as she slouched up the island and grumpily eyed the sea of pots, pans and mess in front of her.

"We thought we'd have a proper cooked breakfast this morning and line our stomachs ahead of today's wine tasting," Joyce announced looking over the top of her steamed glasses at Kat and Debbie.

"Sounds great." Kat smiled as she poured two overly large cups of coffee. "Can I help with anything?" She added, leaning across to hand Debbie her cup.

"I don't think there's much left to do." Gill looked over to Joyce for confirmation.

"Yep, we're nearly done. We're going to leave it on the stove to keep warm. They can just help themselves as they arrive down." Joyce shifted her glasses to the end of her nose as she inspected the various buttons on the integrated oven in front of her.

"Grab a plate because this is good to go now." Joyce celebrated as she finally figured out how to turn the oven off and pulled out a tray of hash browns.

"Oh my God, I'm in heaven." Kat beamed at the sight of the golden crispy potato on the tray and grabbed a plate off the pile ready to load up.

The rest of the group filtered down one by one over the course of the next hour, picking over their breakfast and downing copious amounts of coffee as they chatted about Florence and how they thought the trip went.

"So where did you and lover boy sneak off to?" Gill fondly nudged Kat who's cheeks flushed a deep burgundy as she spluttered into her coffee.

Kat shifted slightly and brushed her fringe back from her eyes. "Erm... he took me to the top of the Cathedral."

There was a chorus of gasps from the group causing Debbie to roll her eyes at them all as she sipped her coffee.

"In the Dome?" Joyce asked leaning forward onto her elbows.

"No." Kat shook her head. "There was a private viewing point not open to the public around the other side." She paused as she looked over to Debbie for reassurance but got nothing more than a subtle shrug. "He knew someone from his show so he called in a favour." Kat hastily added and dropped her gaze to the cup in front of her.

"Oh, that's beautiful." Gill gushed placing her hand on her chest.

"How romantic," Natalia added as her doe eyes glistened.

"He could have taken you up there to push you off." Jayne's lips pursed together extenuating the fine lines around her mouth.

"Oh come on Jayne, don't be such a sour puss." Nita stroked Kat's shoulder. "Besides that would make him the worlds worst killer. I think we'd all know it was him." She turned back to Kat. "That's adorable Kat, how sweet."

"I'm just saying." Jayne laughed jovially. "Or he could have naughtied you, right Natalia?" She continued to giggle to herself as the rest of the group tutted and shook their heads.

Kat took out her phone from her pocket and showed them the selfie he had sent her.

Awwww they all gushed as they shared happy glances with each other.

"That's so cute." Rachel beamed, wrapping her arms around herself.

"So... did he give you a little kiss?" Nita smirked as she nudged Kat, whose whole face now matched the colour of her cheeks.