Chapter Three

I walk through my door and quickly shut it. I can't stop smiling, I can't believe I just asked Steve, Captain America, to go to the party with me. AND HE SAID YES!! I sit on my bed trying to find something to wear when I hear a knock at my door. I get up and look out the door and I see Nat standing there. I was confused at first until I saw what she was holding. It was a white box and she came in as she handed it to me. I open it up and it's a beautiful dress. It's black and short in length, sleeveless and is skin tight. I look up at Nat in shock,

"I can't take this from you Nat..."

"Of course you can, I'm giving it to you. I heard about your little date with Steve, thought I'd give you something to wear that'll have every guy's head turning when you walk in."

I don't really want any heads turning but it would be nice to have the world revolve around me for a couple hours. "Thank you Nat, I don't know how I can repay you, but I promise when I get the money to pay you back, I will."

"No, no. You don't have to pay me back. It's a gift Harley, and I want you to keep it."

I look at the dress again and I go put it on and it fits perfectly. I walk back into the bedroom where Nat was waiting and she chuckles, "It looks great on you and I think Steve will like it. Now, would you like help getting ready?"

I sit and think about what I want to do and then I answer, "I don't think I'll need help. I'm just gonna go with a natural look. I put my black heels on and walk out with Nat who is wearing a red, skin tight leather dress that clings to her figure. We carefully walk down the stairs where Steve and Wanda are waiting for us. Steve has this stunned look on his face when he sees me, me and Nat laugh at him. Steve comes up to me with a smile and reaches for my hand to walk me outside where there's big white tents set up. Underneath the tents are people drinking, laughing and dancing. It seemed like everyone was having a great time. I turn around to see Nat and Wanda behind me when something in one of the windows catches my eye.

I look up and see that Loki was standing behind a window watching everyone, he seemed upset. I let the thought slip my mind and continue my night out with Steve.

We danced for what felt like hours. Everyone was in a circle dancing and laughing, and for a moment I remembered what having a family was like. I try to make myself stop thinking like that. I came here for a job, not to get attached to these people. It was too late, Steve already knew how to make me smile and laugh and everyone around me seemed to accept me for who I was, it felt good. To be loved, to have people that wanted you to be around.

When everyone finally stops dancing, we sit around a glass table and everyone is laughing and drinking. I look at the glass table and look at Steve and ask,

"Is that Thor's hammer?"

"Yeah, actually it is. Why?"

I chuckle and don't believe the myth so I call out to Thor until everyone quiets down and I have his attention. "Are you really the only one who can lift your hammer?"

"Well of course I'm the only one who can lift it" he says laughing to himself.

Steve laughs and yells, "Hey Tony, I dare you to try and lift his hammer..."

As Tony is trying to pick up the hammer, he is failing miserably. Eventually he gives up and walks away. He comes back and dares me to pick it up.

I laugh at him like he's crazy, "If you want me to make a fool of myself than I guess, I will try"

I go to try and lift the hammer, but nothing. I don't even move it a centimeter. Not even with my powers. I laugh and sit back down and relax next to Steve as everyone else picks up conversation.

The night was amazing, now Steve is walking me to my room to say goodnight. I'm not sure what to say or do when I get to my door so I just hugged him. He was tall and he felt safe, he smelled like sweat and strong cologne. I let go and started to turn around when Steve says,

"Tonight was fun, I'm glad you came with us. Maybe me and you can go out for coffee or dinner sometime."

I smile and nod at him before he turns and walks away while I shut my door. I didn't realize how tired I was until I changed out of my dress and into sleep wear. Too bad I'll be gone in a couple weeks when we're done with the mission. I crawled into bed and fell asleep.

I'm running through the field outside the compound but I don't know why. I look behind me towards the compound and realize that it's mid day and everyone is running. I hear my name in the distance and see a soccer ball coming straight for me. That's when I realize that for once I'm not having a nightmare. I go to kick the ball and the dream stops and everything goes black. I can hear someone talking but I can't make out what they're saying.

The voice sounds oddly familiar but I still can't place it. My feet won't move and my heart rate is starting to pick up it's pace until I realize who's standing behind me, it's Loki...

I try making out his words but instead I'm caught off guard by his eyes. He's broken and something is hurting him. I look around to see if there's anything around us but it's still blackness, everywhere. I hear him call my name from farther away but when I try and move my feet nothing happens.

When I frantically try moving my feet I hear someone else call my name, they keep calling it. I start to wake up.

I shoot straight up from laying down, beads of sweat running down my forehead. I remember my name being called, but when I look around, no one is here. I get up to look in the hallway and its dead silence.

**********************************************************************

(1,118 words 5,532 characters)