Lunch with Keta

I don't like to brag but I get straight A's in school. I'm not a brainiac and don't remember everything but I study what I need to and I love to read. I think I've read every novel in our library at least once. While everyone else is watching teen soaps, I'm turning the pages of a book so obviously I've developed a vocabulary superior to most of my friends. Yah, I know that sounds conceited and believe me when say that I don't judge anyone at any time or at the very least I try not to. My point is that I'm not as gullible as my friends and I can spot bull crap from a mile away. This talent crept to the forefront when Jake and I sat with Keta on Monday afternoon during lunch hour. 

First, I should explain that I am now in Rosalie's black book for being seen with Jake. When we arrived at school - and may I add, we were laughing about what was soon to happen - Rosalie sped toward us, curious why Jake and I were so close. I tried very hard to act casual and said that we only met a few blocks away but I guess there was something Rosalie saw in Jake's eyes that didn't add up. She pressed us with questions and when Jake became fed up with her insistence, he blurted that he liked hanging out with me and Rosalie should get used to it. 

Oh man, what a mistake and I've been paying for it all day and not just from Rosalie. Kristina was a bit perturbed but mostly because she didn't want any boys, not even Jake Brossard, entering our little girls club.  Anna Marie couldn't care less but most importantly and painfully for me, Sab seemed hurt. She didn't have a crush on Jake or anything like that but I guess in her state of mourning and this being her first day back at school, she wanted my full attention. I promised her that after I was finished speaking with Keta, I would spend the rest of lunch hour together. She wasn't appeased but gave me a half-smile indicating she could live with that.

My four friends sat on a bench watching intensely as Jake and I strolled to a lunch table occupied by a solitary Keta. I saw Ben peeking from around the corner of the basketball court in the school playground. Keta was initially surprised, followed by annoyed, when Jake and I sat in front of her.

"Can I help you?" she said in a slightly angry tone. 

She was reading a book she kept concealed, not wanting us to see what it was. I'm guessing it wasn't anything romantic.  What puzzled me was that she had no lunch or signs of a lunch anywhere.

"We just want to say hello Keta," Jake replied calmly.  "You've been here for a while and I've rarely if ever spoken to you so I'm extending my hand in friendship."

The girl's expression changed to pleasant albeit only momentarily. 

"That is nice of you, thank you for dropping by."

I think the last part of the sentence was more a polite way of saying, 'Ok you can leave now', than a genuine thank-you but we pressed on.

"Me too Keta," I added. "I saw you at the hockey game two weeks ago and was hoping to sit with you but you and your dad just disappeared."

"Yes, we're not big sports enthusiasts," she replied dryly.

"You're kidding me," Jake said louder than he should have. "Man, I live for sports, can't get enough of it. Surely there were some popular sports team from your home town...I don't even know where you're from."

Keta was examining us a bit closer now as Jake's forthcoming could be construed as a rather obvious attempt at investigating or even intrusive. She rubbed her nose twice and sniffled. 

"If you need to know, my father and I come from Madison, Indiana. It's a small suburb, not much there other than cows and open fields. So to answer your question, no we didn't follow any popular sports teams."

"Oh, I see," Jake continued, feeling very comfortable with his line of questioning. "So, how do you like Canada?"

The girl shrugged. "Is all your country like this small town? I think not...I hope not."

 Keta was evidently not joining our conversation as opposed to just answering the questions we posed. I wondered if she was purposely following some kind of rule book her father made her study when she arrived. The girl was so distant yet so concentrated, making her somewhat intimidating.  Well, to me she was intimidating but to Jake, I would say Keta's demeanour only fuelled his desire to know more about her. This had become a bit of a game to him and judging from the expression building on Keta's face, she realized the same.

Jake laughed at her Canada comment. "What kind of hobbies do you have Keta, anything special? Reading? Needlepoint?"

For the first time in the last five minutes, Keta uncrossed her arms and smiled or if I am not mistaken, chuckled. 

"You are an odd boy are you not? I enjoy reading books Jake and I do not do much other than that. I prefer books to television or movies. And you?"

"Me too," I said as if trying to please Keta with some kind of common ground. 

She paid little attention to me and focused on Jake instead. Suddenly I was not intrigued by this girl and instead...jealous. 

Oh crap.

"Nah," Jake grinned. "I love my television. Books take too much time. We're the instant gratification generation. Spend two hours at a movie rather than ten hours on a book.  If we could hook up the Internet at home, I would probably spend every night in front of a monitor."

"Oh yes, the Internet," Keta replied. "We didn't have it in...Madison and we don't have it here so I do not know what I am missing. From what my father tells me, I am only missing games and perverts."

Jake laughed at her comment but I couldn't help but wonder why she had to think twice about where she came from.  She paused too long searching for Madison and I found that odd.

"I have to get back to Sabrina," I told Jake. 

He nodded and said if it was okay with me, he would stay with Keta. I kind of liked the idea of him asking permission but was uncomfortable with him staying with this...this strange girl. We were done talking with her, she is so obviously weird so why would he want to stay and chat with her?

Damn, I was jealous and as I walked back to my four friends, I tried my best to hide the troubled expression on my face. I knew at that moment I had to control my emotion and distance myself from any romantic notions that included me and Jake Brossard. He was the boy who was going to help me save my father and nothing else.

Absolutely nothing else.