4.18 The Monster at the End of This Book - part 1

(Your POV)

Sam, Dean and I walk into a comic book shop, dressed as FBI agents. The man behind the counter looks up as we approach and take out our badges. "Uh... can I help you?" the man asks. "Sure hope so. Agents McBeth, DeYoung and Shaw. Just need to ask you a few questions." I say, pointing at myself, Dean and Sam respectively.

"Notice anything strange in the building, last couple of days?" Sam then asks, making the man frown. "Like what?" the man asks. "Well, some other tenants reported flickering lights." Dean says. "Uh, I don't think so. Why?" the man asks confused.

"What about noises? Any skittering in the walls? Kind of like rats?" I ask, seeing him frown at me. "And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?" the man asks skeptically. "What about cold spots? Feel any sudden drops in temperature?" Sam asks, making the man grin at us.

"I knew it! You guys are LARPing, aren't you?" the man exclaims, making me frown. "Excuse me?" I ask confused. "You're fans." The man says again. "Fans of what?" I ask again. "And what is "LARPing"?" Dean asks confused.

"Like you don't know." the man answers with a smirk. "Live-Action Role-Play! And pretty hardcore, too." The man says again. "I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about." Dean says, making me shake my head in agreement.

"You're asking questions like the building's haunted. Like those people from the books. What are they called? Uh... 'Supernatural.' Two guys and a girl, they use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Uh... Steve, Y/p and Dirk? Uh, Sal, Y/m and Dane?" the man asks.

"Sam, Y/n and Dean?" I ask, making the man grin. "That's it!" he exclaims happily. "You're saying this is a book?" Dean asks confused. "Books. It was a series. Didn't sell a lot of copies, though. Kind of had more of an underground cult following. " the man says again. he goes over to a table labeled 'Bargain Bin' and we follow him closely. "Let's see. Um... Ah. Yeah" he says, handing Dean a book. "That's the first one, I think." He says again. I look over Dean's shoulder and eye the book suspiciously.

"'Supernatural' by Carver Edlund." Dean reads, before flipping the book over. "Along a lonely California highway, a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths." Dean then reads, looking up at Sam and me. "Give me that." Sam say, grabbing the book from Dean's hands and eyeing it himself. "We're gonna need all the copies of 'Supernatural' you've got." I then say, looking back at the man.

...

I am lying reclined on the bed, flipping through one of the books and frowning. Sam is seated by the window with his laptop. And Dean is sitting on the other bed, reading through a book himself. "This is freakin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?" I ask, reading through a a private moment that I had with Liam.

"You got me." Sam says, shrugging his shoulders. "Everything is in here. I mean everything. From the racist truck to – to me having sex. I'm full-frontal in here, dude." Dean says, making me frown at him. "Ok maybe I should stop reading then... because I don't want to stumble onto one of those chapters." I say, putting the book down.

"How come we haven't heard of them before?" Dean then asks. "They're pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one – 'No Rest For The Wicked' – ends with you going to hell." Sam explains, turning the laptop towards Dean and me, displaying a web site listing the books.

"I reiterate. Freaking insane." I say, eyeing the site. "Check it out. There's actually fans. There's not many of them, but still. Did you read this?" Dean asks, making Sam nod. "Although for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this – Simpatico says 'the demon story line is trite, clichéd, and overall craptastic.' Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico. We lived it." Dean says, making me scoff as well.