Chapter 9

Hi readers! A quick note: if you like fantasy genre with magic, action, and an awesome female protagonist, check out matthewbrownstories's The Whispering Woods: The Companions. This chapter is dedicated to matthewbrownstories. Thank you for all your advice and support!

Reyna's P.O.V

The King of the Wolves did not appreciate being punched in the nose by an angry Roman demigod, but Reyna didn't care. Apparently he was not expecting such a forward assault on his face. His werewolves weren't either, and they growled at her menacingly.

The Hunters were startled for a moment, but Sandy raised her fist and shouted a battle cry. It was basically suicide. They were injured, and most of the girls had no weapons, but they had their fists and powers.

"No, wait! Give in! We shall crush-" Lycoan was interrupted by a rock thrown past his face and barely missing.

Lycoan was waiting for them to give up, to be helpless so Artemis would come save them. Reyna refused to give him the satisfaction.

Reyna's power worked best in large groups. She tried her hardest to share her strength with her fellow huntresses.

A huntress with long, silvery-white hair blasted wind from her hands and knocked over a bunch of werewolves. Another girl ran past her at blazing speed and pushed werewolves to the ground in a blur.

There's a lot of demigods in the hunt. Reyna searched around for the Teumessian fox. The huntresses timber wolves were snapping at its sides and the falcons flew from the sky to nip at its face.

She ran back into the cave to check on Thalia. Daria stood over Thalia and Sara with her sword drawn. She sliced through the air expertly with the blade, defending them from the werewolves. Sara knelt over Thalia, she was mumbling another hymn to Apollo.

If it was possible, Thalia's skin was even more pale. Sara looked at her with solemn eyes.

"We have to get Thalia to my tent at camp," Sara explained. "It has herbs there that can heal her fully. I don't know how we are going to get through all this chaos with her so vulnerable."

Normally, Reyna's idea of chaos would be the fifth and first cohorts of the twelfth Legion deciding to have a jousting with the unicorns. Now, it was a huntress with long braids leading an army of squirrels and deer at the werewolves. Who in the world is her godly parent?

Reyna reached down and scooped Thalia up in her arms. She knew she was probably going to yell at her for this, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sara's eyes widened at her. "Umm, Reyna? I don't think the Lieutenant would appreciate-"

"Cover me, sister." Reyna told Daria. Daria nodded and stood protectively in front of them.

Surprisingly, Thalia wasn't that heavy considering she was only about a year younger than Reyna (not counting the years she has been a huntress and Reyna was a handmaiden of Circe).

Sara followed them as they made their way through the caves entrance. Daria sliced any werewolves to dust that came their way.

Injured huntresses were having trouble fighting without weapons, so Sara beckoned them to follow. They started to file behind Reyna, clutching their injuries. Mia locked eyes with Reyna while fighting and noticed Thalia in her arms. She instantly stopped what she was doing and ran to help Daria protect the injured.

Reyna led the girls into the woods while the other huntresses stayed behind to distract the werewolves and the fox. She knew they couldn't hold them for long, but they just needed a few minutes to get away. She prayed that Sandy would tell them to retreat once they were far enough into the woods.
Daria left them to go help the others.