Chapter 1

SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Reyna's P.O.V

     Leaving Camp Jupiter was one of the hardest things Reyna had ever done, but also the most exciting.  For once in her life, she had absolutely no idea what she was going to do tomorrow.  Being Praetor of Camp Jupiter had been an honor, but it had taken a lot out of her stress wise after so many years, so she was happy to pass her leadership on to Frank Zhang and Hazel Levesque.

     Now, Reyna could scarcely believe that she was currently walking through the woods with Thalia Grace, lieutenant of The Hunters of Artemis.  The night was crisp and clear, the sky dotted with clouds.  Reyna had no idea where they were, or how far they were from camp, but Thalia walked confidently, her she-wolf scouting ahead of her.  Reyna's greyhounds, Aurum and Argentum, walked protectively next to her.  She was grateful that Thalia had let her beloved dogs come along.  Thalia had told her she could keep them instead of getting a wolf, especially since their power to detect lies would be helpful for the hunt. 

     Thalia was a daughter of Zeus like her little brother, Jason Grace.  Reyna felt a sudden pang in her heart remembering her former colleague.  Jason had been like a brother to her as well, and she had had almost no time to grieve for him.  She could not imagine how Thalia must be feeling, who had only just found out her brother was gone.  Reyna did not want to pry into her friend's feelings right now though, she was still getting to know her. 

     Thalia looked nothing like Jason.  Her hair was pitch black, and it looked as though she was growing it out.  Jason's eyes were as blue as the open sky, but Thalia's eyes were a deep electric blue, like the surface of the ocean at night.  She wore a hunter's gray camouflage jacket and jeans with her tall hunter's boots.  On her forehead gleamed a thin silver tiara, the mark of a lieutenant of Artemis, her silver bow and arrows hung from her back. 

     "So where are we going exactly?  Did you girls camp near here?  Or ummm...do you camp?"  Reyna asked hesitantly.  She realized that even though she joined the hunt, she had almost no idea how they worked or what they did.  No one did. 

     Thalia smiled for the first time that night.  "Yes, we camp often.  You better get used to it!  Tents are your home now.  Don't worry, our camp isn't far now.  We have to set it up so that no one can accidentally walk right through camp, ya know?" 

     Reyna nodded at her knowingly.  Thalia was a smart leader.  She really knew what she was doing.  Reyna would have done the same thing if she had been scouting with her cohort back home. 

     Thalia cocked her head at Reyna.  "You're gonna be different from the other girls who have joined the hunt, aren't you?  You gonna cause me trouble Arellano?"  Thalia smirked at her. 

     Reyna pretended to be hurt.  "First of all, it's Ramirez-Arellano.  Second, I happen to have prevented the greek and roman camps from going to war, so I am probably going to be the least of your troubles, Grace."

     Reyna sprinted down the stretch of a hill, her greyhounds trailing after her.  Thalia laughed and jumped on a fallen log, balancing on it like a tightrope. 

     "So, it's weird being immortal now huh?  Don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have about the hunt."  Thalia said. 

    "Thank you," Reyna said.  "I have the most important question, when do I get a bow, and can I keep my daggers?"  Reyna humorously gestured to her legs where her two imperial gold daggers were sheathed.  Thalia chuckled. 

     "Of course you can keep them.  Also, we kind of have a tradition for the newbies, so you will have to wait to get your bow."  Thalia jumped off of the log.