Tip 9: Research!

I mentioned a bit of this on the Characters tip page but I thought I should make a part for it!

Research is very important for authenticity.

You could always go about making things up and hoping for the best, but I think it's best to at least delve into the actual facts first— then draw your own conclusions.

I like to research mainly because I don't want people to be like "uh hey, this is wrong, it's actually blah blah blah"

As much as I do love people correcting me to further improve my books sometimes I get embarrassed and apologise too much and then I spend nights awake in bed being like "what is wrong with me???"

But that's a problem for me to deal with in therapy 😎

Anyways, I recommend actual proper sources! FandomWiki and Wikipedia can be good sources (fandom wiki than actual Wikipedia) but try going to the bibliography of the article and trace back to the sources they used.

Don't be afraid to get primary sources! Primary sources are best!

Don't be afraid to spend days on end figuring out if your character likes milk, white or dark chocolate!

For my witch Loki x reader I spent quite a while researching online and with the actual witch books I have to add in small details to further the authenticity of it.

For my Voodoo Alastor x reader I made a mistake or rather lack of clarification on the type of voodoo Y/n practiced as well as a horrible mistake on how I depicted her. (I cleared it up and fixed it in the end)

So just don't be afraid to spend your time researching because you may actually learn a thing or two albeit useful or random information.

- Anna ❤️