Chapter 4 - Protective instincts

---Marcus POV---

As soon as the car was on the road, Dimitri jumped to the back to retrieve the pup out of the carrier. Amelia had been standing at the exit, so we were forced to place the pup in the back, at least until we were out of sight.

"I can't imagine what the pup's been through." Dimitri spoke up as he took his seat, gently holding the pup on his lap. It was still sedated and would probably remain like that till the evening.

Glancing at the rookie, I held back a chuckle as his wolf was very much on the surface, softly lapping at any visible injuries. It was a regular occurrence in our world, since our saliva held healing enzymes, plus neutralizing compounds against our very own toxins.

So I let Dimitri clean the pup's wounds, frowning as my cellphone beeped before I handed it to Dimitri. He huffed as he opened the text, frowning slightly.

"Say, isn't it law to chip pups of the pack with their data along with that of any relatives?" He questioned as I kept my eyes on the road. I took a chance to remove my eyes from the dirt road we were on, eyes flashing over Dimitri's face before lingering on the pup.

"Adam sent you a text?" I asked, already knowing the answer but dreading it at the same time. What had started as a simple rogue retrieval was growing into a very big and serious case, one that I was determined to investigate.

Dimitri's grunt sounded through the car, followed with a low, rumbling growl. "Yeah, apparently someone filled in Outcast and Rogue as parents, only the pup's name had been filled correctly. Zayne."

My own growl rolled past my teeth, not liking the implications at all. His father a rogue and his mother cast out from the pack? But why cast the parents out and keep the pup? Did the mom never claim her pup as her own?

Zayne. It was a nice yet uncommon name. I glanced at the pup and snorted as Dimitri went back to healing most of the wounds. Errr. "Dimitri, I doubt the pup would be very comfortable waking up with you licking its stomach, so cut it out."

His tongue curled out one last time with a disgruntled huff as he shot me an unimpressed glare. With a heavy sigh, he nuzzled the pup softly as he grumbled, "I didn't get all the wounds yet."

"I can see that and trust me when I say I'm as pissed off as you are but how would you feel if you wake up and realize a total stranger decided to lick your stomach all the way down to your crotch?" I asked rhetorically, glad to see that my point came across as Dimitri crunched his nose up.

"Oh, ew...yeah, I see what you mean but-"

Nodding, I reached out to brush over Zayne's fur, sighing as my skin came in contact with the short, brittle fur that didn't fit with the harsh winter scenery that sped past outside. "Yeah, you just want to heal and nurture him. I know."

Dimitri sighed heavily as he cradled the pup a bit closer, rubbing soothingly over its head as it let out a few sleepy whimpers. "Damn Marcus, I know I had a soft spot for pups but you're just as badly influenced as I am. How's the pack going to react on him?"

I chuckled at that as I turned the van onto the driveway, "Twelve highly trained guys and three she-wolves, all of which haven't seen or smelled a pup in a long while? I think its best that you hand Zayne to me before getting out of the truck."

He frowned at that but I grinned, "If you set one toe out there with that pup in your hands, you'll be tackled instantly by fifteen wolves wanting to love and protect that little pup. You're the new kid in the pack, well, you were but you still have to earn most of their respect."