Chapter 22 - Birds and bees?

---Zayne's POV---

It's been a few days since I woke up with three pups cuddled snugly against my throat and most of the pack staring down at me. It had been slightly intimidating, blinking sleepily only to be greeted by several faces looking down at me.

They didn't mean anything bad with it, but still...creepy. I huffed slightly as I shook my head and returned to the present. I had been preparing myself to try and walk a bit, with Marcus' help of course.

He was standing beside me with an encouraging grin, eyes filled with pride as I managed to push myself up on my legs, albeit a bit wobbly. But I felt like I had done something amazing, judging from the grin that flashed my way.

I managed to produce a smile of my own, though everyone had told me it was a rather wolf-like approach to a smile but they insisted it looked terribly cute. Marcus' eyes twinkled before he walked us towards the kitchen for supper, gently settling me down on the chair.

"Let's try some soup today, how does that sound?" I tilted my head slightly before nodding; despite Marcus tentative and patient lessons, I still couldn't produce a sound. Alice had warned us not to get too depressed on that notion, since I still needed to get used to using my vocal cords in an unusual way.

"Hey pup." Wyatt greeted as he plopped down beside me, Sebastian chuckling slightly as he walked past to prepare his mate some food. I licked my lips and nervously glanced around, failing at a wobbly smile as I nodded.

A sudden crash accompanied with a curse made us both jump up, a hand on my chest as I felt my heart thumping violently. My eyes found the source of the disturbance and I relaxed slightly when I noticed Mike pressed on the floor, laughing vibrantly as Terrance shook his head and pulled himself off of his mate.

"You clumsy oaf; you made me spill breakfast all over the floor!" Mike scolded jokingly as he motioned to the mess of runny egg yolk, toast and tomatoes that was smeared across his chest. "Why were you running in here anyways?"

Terrance blinked and sat upright before he sheepishly rubbed over his throat and the back of his neck. "I-uh...I kinda freaked out when I couldn't find you...I'm usually awake before you are so it...unnerved me when you weren't there."

I watched curiously as Mike's teasing expression faded, turned warm and pleasant as he turned around and hugged his man reassuringly. It was quite stunning to see the big guy nuzzling Mike, needing the smaller man's reassurance as his wolf visibly calmed down.

My wolf was very strongly at the surface as I watched the pair interact, trying to decipher why it was so different between mates here and mates in the pack I was born in.

Everything.

I saw them stand up for each other, to each other, defending their own thoughts as well as each other. They acted like one being while they still remained an individual in the pack. Everyone here treated their mates with respect, even the unmated wolves anticipated the day they would find their One.

A bowl was placed in front of me, drawing my attention as Marcus handed me a spoon before he was momentarily distracted when Sebastian asked him something.

Deciding to try and eat, I put the spoon in the bowl and lifted it to my mouth, only for the soup to run down the utensil on the wrong side. A frown worked its way on my face as I dipped the spoon back in the broth and lifted it again, slower this time.

I managed to catch some of the liquid, though I had to awkwardly lift my hand to do so, but I felt a little proud spark in my stomach as I tried again. That is, until my next spoonful spilled all over the front of my shirt.