Life with Dorian

*** the Glass Castle has not shattered, it's intact

Hidden in your favourite spot, an alcove situated in a private part of Adarlan's famous library, you devoured your favourite novel. A steamy romance, as usual. The story was about a  prince who could have everything he ever wanted in life, but his soul was shattered  in every possible way. He fell in love with  a girl and the love they shared had saved them both. It reminded you of your own.

This extensive book room was reserved for the royal couple and no one else. The only person that was exceptionally admitted in was Terrasen's queen, a big reader herself. Everytime she would come for a visit you could find her in here, her nose buried in a book and a box of treats by her side.

   This alcove was your favourite spot. Why some may ask, it's because it had became a safe sanctuary for you. It furnished with your favourite chaise longue, blankets were draped over every seating and sentimental pictures were hung on every inch of the walls. Your husband had spent hours trying one after the other until he found the perfect seatings for you. You thought he was kidding when you had asked him what he had done during the afternoon. Still in shock, he had made you sit on one of them. When a grin had spread on your face he knew he had accomplished his mission.

   You had met each other at Aelin's coronation. At first it was pure friendship. You had so much fun talking about books in those few days, that Adarlan's King had asked you to come back with him. Both of you were in need of comfort. Manon's heart was too broken for him and had left him to go to the Wastes after the coronation.

   Dorian needed someone to cheer him up and you were also in need, since you had lost so much to the war. You felt alone and Dorian completed you.

   After a few weeks with you, the young king had started to see you differently. He saw the treasure in front of him, he had been so consumed in his grief that he had never noticed the way his heart warmed in your presence, the way his inner demons would leave and happiness would fill him when you were near him. Little did he know, your heart felt the same way. Both of you had started flirting with each other and planned on maybe making a move.

  Looking through the big bay window, it gave you the perfect view of the palace's gardens, you saw the love of your life seated on one of the white benches, surrounded by roses. His nose buried in a book with a pen in hand, once in a while his body shook with a chuckle and his tongue would lick his bottom lip. He was probably annotating his favorite parts and leaving comments for you. He had bought second copies of all your favorite novels, his and yours, to fill the selves. Brand new book for his queen.

   The same bench where you and your husband slowly fell in love while talking about books. The same place where you had your first kiss. On the night of Yulemas ball, the first one since the war. Every kingdom that had participated in the war had come into Adarlan's open arms. This Yulemas had been very emotional, dedicated to every fallen loved one. Even the Queen of the wastes had come for the ball and your plans had failed since you had planned on making your move. When you met her gaze your body had frozen, fear had spread through you. Fear that she had come for Dorian, to take him back. That  terror had  slipped away when you saw a blonde girl in riding leathers come up to her and embrace her. Still, you didn't know how Dorian would react, Manon was a topic you both avoided.

   Throughout the night your eyes kept sliding across the ball room to his body, he was dressed in Adarlan's colours with his crown resting on his perfect black hair. He was in a deep conversation with Aelin and her consort Rowan, who never left her side. As you slightly moved your body to the right while still sharing a conversation with Lysandra, you peaked in his direction. Only to find his sapphire blue eyes staring right into your own, you could lose yourself in his eyes and they were burning with eagerness. Heat spread through your core as he excused himself from his conversation and pointed to the gardens. You wanted to go but with a babbling Lysandra you didn't know how to slip away. Your heart broke every time you weren't with him, every moment he didn't belong with you.