Chapter Fifty

Avalon exited the Greenhouse with Zelda and Clara, the three of them striding toward their next classes as they filled the air with light-hearted conversation and cheerful laughter.

It had been five days since Avalon was discharged from the Hospital Wing, and classes had resumed at the start of the week. Despite Madam Bardot insisting she stay in bed and take it easy, Avalon had sprung right back into her daily routine. Her head no longer spun, her wounds had healed, and the pain that had plagued her entire body had subsided to nothingness. Thankfully, it appeared the Healer was quite good at her job.

She was rarely alone during her extended stay at the Hospital-- Tom typically spent most of his time with her, only ever leaving to shower or grab food. He made sure to always bring her back her favorite things to eat, knowing that she wasn't fond of the meals Madam Bardot was giving her. In his brief periods of absence, Zelda or Orion took his place and in addition, their other friends stopped by on several occasions, too. Clara frequented the infirmary every so often to check in, a bouquet of flowers in her hand every time she stopped by, and Axel and Rosalie came to see her, too, dropping off a gift basket with treats from Honeydukes. Even Demitri popped by, sneaking her a flask of firewhiskey which she gratefully downed before Madam Bardot noticed and snatched it away, kicking Mulciber out promptly after.

But, despite her friends making sure to keep her company, being in that Hospital had started to drive Avalon mad. When she finally heard that she could leave, she sprung out of her bed so quickly that the Healer had to remind her to take it easy for the next few days-- which Avalon didn't quite listen to.

From the first day she had returned to her classes, Avalon noticed many of her peers would whisper as she walked by, their eyes focused on her as she made her way through the castle. It soon became obvious that word had spread about her boggart attack-- and with the news, came rumors of what her boggart had been: the most popular theory seemed to be that it was Grindlewald. Some thought that it was a werewolf. She even heard one rumor that it was a Professor Merrythought.

So far, nobody had guessed that it was actually her boyfriend viciously carving into her back, but she wasn't too surprised by that.

"You're positively brilliant. You know that, right?" Zelda said to Clara as the three girls walked through the caste.

"It's really not that impressive," replied Clara humbly, a hint of a blush on her cheeks.

"Not that impressive?" gaped Zelda. "You found out a way to charm seeds so that they will never wither and you're choosing now to be modest? That is incredible."

"It really is amazing, Clara," Avalon said with a smile. "Imagine how lovely it would be to see a field of flowers in the wintertime. You truly are brilliant."

"I don't understand how you managed to find time to come up with this with all the assignments we have... I mean, it's only the first Friday of the new term and we're already drowning in work," Zelda grumbled, shaking her head as the three girls walked through the corridors. "Now that you're dating Riddle, does that mean I can use him for answers to our assignments?"

"I'm sure he'd love that," Avalon chuckled, shaking her head. It still felt odd to hear others openly refer to her and Tom's relationship. Alongside the boggart rumors, talk of the castle's newest couple was rampant through the school gossip.

"I always knew the two of you would find a way together," Clara said, a soft smile on her lips as she clutched her books tightly against her chest.

Avalon rolled her eyes, laughing. "You must have been the only one, then, because even I didn't see it coming."

Zelda turned to Clara and said, "What is it with her and Slytherins?"