Chapter Forty-Nine

Tom didn't know at what point he had eventually dozed off to sleep that night, but he woke up to the feeling of sunlight hitting his eyes. He glanced around, trying to remember where he was. The corridor outside the infirmary greeted him, Orion still passed out on the floor by him.

The blond woke soon after Tom and immediately began complaining about being hungry. He had to physically drag Tom to get breakfast with him after Tom refused to leave the Hospital Wing, but Orion eventually convinced him that his hunger wouldn't help Avalon recover any quicker. So, the pair went to the Great Hall and ate breakfast.

Tom still lacked an appetite, so Orion tried to force him to eat a roll. Tom frowned when he felt the bread smush into the side of his face, turning around and glaring at a grinning Orion who didn't quit pestering Tom until he finally gave in and ate.

It actually made Tom laugh a bit to himself. He had been so upset at seeing Avalon and Orion eating together, Avery feeding her when she had been down. He had thought that it was an indication that the duo secretly had something between them-- seeing Orion do the same thing to him, he realized the blond was just overly affectionate.

They returned to the Hospital Wing shortly after, once again taking their position outside the door. About half an hour passed before Zelda walked out. She looked visibly exhausted and slumped against the wall, looking at the two of them before saying, "Orion, could you sit with her for a little? She just woke up and insists I go get breakfast."

Orion nodded, springing onto his feet. "Of course." He looked at Tom, offering a half-hearted smile before he went inside the infirmary once more. As the door was closing behind Orion, Tom caught a brief glance at Avalon.

She was sitting up in her bed, looking toward the door. Her eyes met Tom's for a moment and she didn't greet him with any fear in her stare. That was enough to make him let out a sigh of relief.

The door closed behind Orion and she watched as he made his way over, a smile on his face when he saw she was awake. "Good morning," he greeted her.

"Good morning," she said, forcing a soft smile as he came over and sat on the side of her bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better," she said slowly, looking down at the fresh bandages on her body. Blood no longer seeped out, but it still hurt to move. "The wounds seem to have closed up, but it's still quite painful. Can't get rid of my headache and I can feel myself lose focus every now and then, but I can at least hold consciousness."

"It is progress," he said, taking her hand and giving it a slight squeeze. "I reckon you'll be out in no time."

She laughed. "I don't know about that, but hopefully it won't be too long before I can be discharged." Her words trailed off as she looked toward the door once more. "Did he stay the whole night?"

"He hasn't left since he brought you here," Orion sighed. "I had to drag him to breakfast this morning. I think it's the first meal he's had in a while... he's not taking this too well."

She looked down for a moment, trying not to think about the smile on Tom's-- no, the boggart's-- face when it shoved her onto the ground... the sound of his-- no, it's-- voice when it taunted her as it plunged the blade into her back.

It wasn't him, she had to remind herself.

She knew it wasn't him... but that didn't make it much easier for her to move past those terrible memories plaguing her mind. Her head was swamped with a thousand thoughts, and she knew that she needed to sort through them one way or another.

"Could I speak to him?" she asked, her own voice uncertain.

Orion seemed surprised that she had asked, but he nodded, standing up. "I'll go fetch him."