Chapter 15

Jace

Krystal is gone when I wake up the next morning, and her absence is probably a good thing, judging from the strength of my boner. My body wants another go, and I'm playing our night together on repeat in my head. But even though it's probably the best sex I've ever had, I'm already dreading the unanswered question hanging in the atmosphere: What does this make us? I climb out of bed and reach for my jeans, deciding not to dwell on our relationship non-status too much. I pushing the question out of my mind and hope it stays gone.

I find Krystal in the kitchen when I come downstairs, not that I was looking for her or anything. I think, subconsciously, I secretly hoped I'd be able to avoid her, but no such luck. She's sitting placidly on one of the stools at the kitchen island. She's in another oversized hoodie, socks, and maybe nothing else. Her slender legs extend from the bottom of the hoodie like an invitation, tempting my thoughts to follow the lines of her thighs straight up to her core. I briefly consider skipping coffee and going for a jog instead. Or a hike, or a marathon. Anything to burn off this excess sexual energy.

But it wouldn't do me any good. She'd still be here, at the house, when I got back, and even if she was wearing more clothing than she is now, it wouldn't keep my thoughts from wondering. Not now that I know what secrets her body holds. I've always considered her attractive, but having my hands, my mouth, on her body, not to mention my dick inside her, woke something in me I haven't let myself consider before now.

I like her.

A lot.

Even when she's getting under my skin, I still want to be around her. Even when she's totally spazzing out, I will find reasons to be near her.

"Hey," she says softly and lifts a steaming mug in my direction in greeting. I give her a soft wave and turn toward the coffeemaker, grab myself a mug from the cupboard above, and pour myself a cup. All without looking at her. I'm not sure how to look at her now without completely giving myself away, giving away how hopelessly into her I am.

Maybe she won't notice if I never look at her again.

I shake the thought away and cross to the refrigerator, dump creamer into my mug. At some point, we're going to need to talk about what happened earlier. Was it a mistake? Does she want to do it again? Do I?

A million questions circle through my brain, and the last six hours haven't brought me any closer to answering a single one of them.

I take a sip from my mug and stand awkwardly in the center of the kitchen, shuffling from foot to foot. Should I leave? Should I sit down at the island with her? Maybe this is the best time to talk to her, when everyone else is apparently still in bed.

Instead of sitting down on the stool next to her, I move to the other side of the island and lean against the counter facing her. When she looks up at me, my stomach flutters with an attack of nerves the likes of which I haven't felt since I was a prepubescent boy with my first crush. Macey Nicholson. She was also a petite brunette with big doe eyes. Apparently, I have a type.

I take a deep breath, gather my courage, and say, "Should we talk about what happened?"

Her cheeks brighten to a pretty pink color, and she looks down at her mug for a moment before responding. "Yeah."

"Look... it was really fun..." I trail off. What the hell am I trying to say? I sound like I'm about to give her the I-just-want-to-be-friends speech, but I'm like a spectator in my own body. The words are coming out of my mouth, even as my brain is recoiling from the idea of not being with Krystal

She straightens on her stool, and a muscle ticks in her tightly clenched jaw. "It got the job done." Her response is flippant, but her eyes flash fire, and I can't quite get a read on what she's really feeling right now.