Chapter 9

Krystal

One full week after the charity dinner from hell, I'm standing next to Abby and Miranda and an impressive collection of suitcases on the curb of the parking lot closest to our dorm. The woman clearly has magic powers because she somehow convinced me to come along on this stupid trip to this equally stupid lake house. She seems certain Jace isn't going to be there, and is adamant that I deserve to go. The only reason she was successful in talking me into it is because Jameson invited Miranda along, and she was most definitely not a part of Drama Club.

I realize, the moment Jameson's SV pulls to a stop at the curb Abby was talking out of her ass when she told me Jace wasn't coming, and Miranda was complicit in the lie. Because there he is, taking up vital real estate in the backseat.

Jameson climbs out of the driver's seat and rounds the front of the vehicle, gives Miranda a sweet, but awkward, kiss on the cheek. "Hello, beautiful," he greets her. Then to us, "Ladies."

I nod, even though he hasn't looked away from Miranda.

"Sup," Abby answers him.

Finally, he tears his gaze away from Miranda's face and reaches for our suitcases. "You all ready for a vacay weekend?" He sounds like a game show host, trying to get the audience pumped.

Abby, Miranda, and I all lean in to help with the luggage as Jameson hangs the strap of a duffle crossways over his body. Then he grabs the handles of two rolling suitcases.

"Definitely," Miranda breathes excitedly.

"Sure," Abby answers.

I stay silent, doing my best to avoid glaring at Jace through the lightly tinted back window. Not that it would make a difference, his head is turned so far in the opposite direction, I'm surprised his neck isn't cramping up.

When all of our bags are packed solidly in the trunk, Jameson goes to the front passenger door and opens it, revealing a shocked, and a little grumpy-looking, RJ. "Hey, why don't you let Miranda ride up here," Jameson suggests, but the recommendation is clearly more than just a friendly idea.

RJ shakes his head. "No way. I'm not riding back there with her. She'll probably bite my head off praying-mantis style."

Abby sneers at him. "You're safe. They only do that after sex, and I'd sooner rip my own head off than go anywhere near your micropenis."

"Thank goodness." RJ breathes an exaggerated sigh of relief, then says to Jameson. "I'm still not riding back there with her, brother."

Miranda places a soft hand on Jameson's arm. "It's fine. I don't mind riding in the back."

"Are you sure?" Jameson looks unconvinced.

"Positive." She pulls the back door open, and RJ doesn't waste a second pulling his door closed again, as if he's afraid Miranda might change her mind and he's hoping to use the closed door as protection.

Abby slides into the backseat and glides across the bench to park next to Jace. "Hey."

He looks like a deer caught in headlights, but at least he has manners enough to respond with, "Hey."

"So how are we doing this?" Miranda asks, motioning to the one remaining seat and then to the two of us still standing outside the car.

Abby looks at us, looks at the empty seat, looks at Jace, then back to me. I swear I see mischief in her eyes when she says, "Simple. You sit. Krys is the smallest, so obviously, she should ride across our laps."

"All of you?" My voice comes out far squeakier than I intended."

Abby smiles teasingly. "You're small, Krys, but even your slight weight is enough to make a person's legs go numb on an hour-long car trip."