Chapter 12

Jace

Krystal is sleeping in a chair, and not even a decent-sized chair. A damned small armchair. For a moment, I stare down at her, marveling at how tiny she has made herself to be able to fit into this thing. I sat in one of these chairs earlier and barely fit, but she's managed to get almost her entire frame tucked onto the seat. Her body is folded in on itself, and she's facing into the cushioned back. Only her feet hang off, jutting out at odd angles. She can't be comfortable. Why would she choose to sleep here? Then it hits me, she had nowhere else to go. She was trying to ask if she could bunk with me and Scotty, and I treated her like a nuisance.

I'm not used to feeling like an asshole. Except where Krystal is concerned. It doesn't matter what the situation, somehow, I always come out being the bad guy, and tonight is no different. I was lying in bed for at least half an hour before she knocked on the door, listening to Scott's soft snoring across the room and wishing I could fall asleep. But instead of sleeping, I was lying there thinking about her. How does she always manage to get under my skin?

I mentally replayed our short conversation a million times if once. When I opened the door to find her in the hallway, my first thought was how adorably disheveled she looked. And then I was pissed at myself. Krystal Matthews is not adorable. She's a thorn in my side, always showing up at the most inopportune times, always sticking her nose into my business. But apparently, my dick didn't get the memo. The second I saw her there, with bare feet and her oversized T-shirt hanging almost to her bare knees, lust sent a jolt of energy straight to my dick.

But then common sense returned. It occurred to me that she must be there for Scotty. Everyone else was coupled up, and she was probably looking to get some action, too. And that pissed me off. In hindsight, I shouldn't have snapped at her the way I did. I could see the hurt on her face the second the words left my lips, and I regretted them immediately. But there was no going back. Eventually, I threw back the blanket and grumbled out of the bed, giving up on sleep. I planned to go down to the kitchen for some water, maybe do a few laps in the pool, but I didn't even make it past the landing. Because Krystal is here, sleeping in a toy-sized chair.

Now, I'm running through the whole scenario, again, thinking of all the ways I could have handled it differently. First of all, it wasn't any of my business if she hooked up with Scott. I didn't have any right to be pissed about that, and I definitely do not want to explore why the idea has me clenching my fists even now. I could have been nicer to her, should have been nicer to her. Especially considering I made an assumption about her that, as it turns out, was way off.

And I was an asshole.

"Dammit, Krystal. Come on." I grumble, hoping she's sleeping lightly enough to hear me and wake up. A moment passes, then another. Finally, she turns over to face me, and stretches both legs to the floor, sits up. She doesn't get up from the chair, though. She stays seated, looking up at me with wide blue eyes and a look of complete confusion... and wariness? Is she worried I'm going to pick an argument? Not tonight. I'm already feeling like fifty shades of jerk right now. I'm not about to make it any worse.

I cross my arms over my chest and repeat myself, "Come on."

"Where?" Her voice is soft velvet in the space between us, and my guilt increases. I'm being gruff with her, but there's no animosity in her voice.

"To bed." I try to soften my tone, but I'm failing. I'm annoyed by this entire situation, only I don't know why.

"You want me to go to bed with you?"

Was it my imagination or did she sound a little breathless when she said that? If it was anyone besides Krystal, I would almost suspect she was interested. In me. In going to bed with me. My dick perks up at the thought. Until I remind myself that this is Krystal we're talking about. She's a full serving of drama, with a side of drama, and drama for dessert. Topped with drama sauce. Nope. My dick and I are not going there. "To sleep," I say and then spin on my heel and head for the bedroom without waiting to see if she's following me.