Chapter 13

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is February 4th, 2020. I've been trying to plot out the rest of the book and how it's going to play out. I'm not making this into a series, so I'm trying to find the best way to end this book. I'm not saying anything about it; can't spoil!

Warning: Stabbing, death, and graphic depictions of blood and pain be careful i love you all

The three then put their heads together and devise a plan to destroy the Career's supplies. "Now this green stuff is gonna smoke like crazy, so soon as you light it, move on to the next fire. Light this one last and we'll meet you back over there," Katniss says, drawing the arena in the dirt with a stick.

"Right."

"And then, I'll destroy their stuff while they're chasing you," Y/n says.

"We need a signal, in case one of us gets held up," Rue says, looking up at the girls.

"Okay. Like what?" Y/n asks.

Rue looks at the pin Y/n bought for Katniss that's clipped to her jacket. "Here, watch this." She looks up into the trees and whistles 4 clear notes. Soon, birds begin calling it back, and the trees are filled with the sound, a great vortex of music, with the three girls in the center.

Katniss laughs a little. "Mockingjays. That's great."

"Back home we use them to signal all the time. You try."

Katniss whistles a familiar tune that Y/n recognizes. She used to hum it to her when Katniss was awake with nightmares of her father, or Prim being taken away.

"Okay. So, if we hear that it means we're okay and we'll be back real soon," Rue says.

"We're gonna be okay," Y/n assures them. They all huddle together and hug each other tightly.

"Hey, I'll see you for supper," Katniss says to Rue.

"Okay," she smiles before disappearing into the woods to light the fires. Y/n and Katniss grab their weapons and run off to the clearing where the Cornucopia and the Careers are. The Careers spot the smoke and go after it, snickering and whooping.

Katniss observes the ground before them. Metal plates are strategically placed before the bundle. She sees that they are all connected to explosive mines. She notches an arrow in her bow.

Y/n tenses up as tingles run down her spine. "Blow it up Katniss," she whispers before she begins running after the Careers.

"What are you doing?!" Katniss yells.

"BLOW IT UP!" Y/n yells, running faster then she ever has in her life. She grabs her sword off her back and tears through the thick vines. She hears footsteps and jumps over a large tree root, throwing herself in front of the small, frightened Rue. "NO!" She screams, slamming the Rue to the ground.

Not processing what just happened, the boy throws the spear in his hand at her. Y/n's body convulses as the spear breaks the skin through her jacket, lodging itself under her ribcage, grazing her spine, and the tip poking through her back.

She crumbles to the ground as Rue screams at the top of her lungs, cradling Y/n. Katniss breaks through the foliage and shoots the boy on instinct. "Y/N!!" She screams, running over and falling to her knees.

Y/n coughs, a litttle blood splattering over her chin. She smiles weakly up at Katniss, who's lip trembles with fear as tears spill from her eyes. "Hi, Katnip."

"You idiot, what did you do?!" Katniss sobs.

"I protected Rue. I'd do it again," Y/n groans. 

"But you might die!"

"I was always going to die. You and Rue know what to do; you got rid of the Career's supplies. You just have to outlive them, which you can do. You guys are smart, I know what you are capable of, love."

Katniss sobs, her eyes clenched shut in denial. She feels Y/n's warm blood from the wound dripping through her fingers supporting her back. "I don't want to do this without you."

Y/n reaches up and places her hand on Katniss' face, a handprint of blood placed on her cheek. "You won't. Save me. I'm not dead yet. And if you can't save me, I still won't be gone. I'll haunt you forever!"

Katniss laughs a little and looks at Rue, who is staring at Y/n in disbelief, quiet tears streaking her face. "Rue can we help her?"

Rue nods. "We need to stop the bleeding first. I don't think we can get stitches unless we get a sponsor, so we need to rely on tree sap and whatever medicinal leaves we can find. I can't guarentee anything unless we get a sponsor that sends us some type of anti-septic to prevent an infection at best, or stitches at least."

"Come on, Haymitch," Y/n groans. "Star-crossed lovers, you can't let one of them die yet."

hehe i saved rue but at what cost?