Chapter 10

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is January 21st, 2020. I can't believe we're already on the tenth chapter! We aren't even in the games yet though...well I mean that's about to change right now so-

Y/n wakes up, stirring softly. She feels two arms wrapped around her and Katniss's steady breathing fanning against her chest. She slowly pries herself away from her and slips out, opening the balcony door and stepping out. One of the last views I'll ever see, she thinks, looking out over the dark skyline.

Today is the day of the Hunger Game's.

The door slides open once more and Katniss steps out behind her. "Did I wake you up?" Y/n asks. Katniss shakes her head no, then slides her hand around Y/n's waist, resting her chin on her shoulder.

\--/

While Haymitch is advising Y/n and Haymitch on what to do upon arrival, Y/n is inspecting her outfit. She's dressed in industrial combat boots, tucked over some beige khakis. She's wearing a regular black t-shirt with a water-proof black and orange-trimmed jacket. Her h/c hair is pulled back into a braided bun on the crown ofher head. Katniss is dressed in the same outfit, donning her signature braid that Y/n does for her.

"They'll put all kinds of stuff right in front, right in the mouth of the Cornucopia. They'll even be a bow and sword there, don't go for it," Haymitch says.

"Why not?" Katniss asks.

"It's a blood bath, they're trying to pull you in, that's not your game. You turn, run, find high ground, look for water. Water's your new best friend. Now, don't step off that pedestal early or they'll blow you sky high," he says dramatically.

Y/n nods grimly. "We won't."

The doors of the elevator open to reveal the large aircraft carrying the tributes. Before they get on, Haymitch grabs their hands. "You can do this." The girls give him small half-smiles. 

"Thanks." They strap themselves into the seats and grasp hands. A technician comes around and pries their hands away, sneering at them. "What's that?" Y/n asks as a needle is jammed into her arm rather forcefully.

"Tracker." The chopter takes off and Y/n and Katniss are seperated, much to their dismay. Y/n smiles warmly at Katniss. "I will find you! You're with me!" She calls out.

Y/n is taken to a small room with an elevator tube. The door opens and Cinna walks in. "Cinna," she breathes, hugging him tightly. 

He smiles at her. "I gave Katniss the Mockingjay pin." Y/n beams at him.

"Thank you."

"I'm not allowed to bet, but if I could I'd bet on you two."

Y/n is sent into the tube. She places her hand on the plexiglass as the floor rises. Bright sunlight blinds her, and her eyes take time to adjust. When they do, she smiles to herself. A large, geometrical, metal cornocopia is in front of her. All the other tributes are spaced out in a circle around it. To her left is a large forest, which is the only terrain with cover. They'll all be forced into it sooner or later.

Katniss? She thinks wildly. Where's Katniss?! She spots her almost all the way across from her.

Somewhere in the fake sky above them, a voice, Claudius Templesmith, begins counting down. A cannon goes off and most tributes skyrocket off to it, the rest scampering away. Immediately it's a bloodbath. Cannons are shooting off rapidly as the children's blood who were brave enough to run to the Cornocopia seeps into the grass, making the clearing run with bloody mud.

Y/n watches Katniss snag a backpack and run off quickly. She runs through her options in her head and sees the Careers grabbing their pick of weapons and food. Oh god, I don't want to. But I must, she thinks.

Casually, she strolls up to them, looking at the sword in her peripherial vision. The Careers all cackle at her, holding up their weapons. She rolls her eyes. "Does it look like I'm armed? No."

"What are you doing here, girl? Already giving up on your precious girlfriend?" Cato taunts. Y/n's jaw seizes but she masks it immediately. 

"She's not precious to me. She thinks I'm coming after her to 'protect' her, but I'm not," she sneers, ignoring the guilt in her chest, although her words are false.

"So what do you want with us?"

Y/n crosses her arms. "I am a valuable asset. I know how to fight, track, and find water, which seems like our most pressing issue as of now."

Cato advances on her. "Not a chance."

Y/n places a hand square on his chest and glares up at him. The girls and guys scoff behind him. "In case you haven't noticed, there is a sword behind me. You all are clearly too dumb to take note of these things, but I'm sure you picked up how skilled I am with that weapon. In just seconds I could snatch it and easily kill everyone of you." She removes her hand. "Your choice."