12 | explanations and understandings

J A M E S  P O T T E R

The Prefects and himself had returned about an hour ago after making sure there was no one else in the castle. All the students were accounted for except for five individuals, all from Ravenclaw. James informed Professor McGonagall but she said they were fine.

Remus had to drag James to the Great Hall because he had been very adamant about going to the infirmary. Lily had to go get Sirius and Peter for assistance.

The missing had included Coralena and Pandora who had joined everyone a few moments later, seeming rather shaken and then there was Reggie. Ophelia had yet to show up and neither had her brother.

Dumbledore stepped up to the podium once Coralena and Pandora settled down at the Ravenclaw table. It was clear that their fellow housemates had questions but the pair were essentially catatonic.

"Good evening, everyone," Dumbledore greeted. "I am sure you're all wondering why you were asked to come here." The room fell silent upon hearing that they would find out what all of the teachers were being secretive about. "There was an incident in Hogsmeade this evening."

There were chatters amongst the students and James stood up straight, pushing himself off the wall. Dumbledore cleared his throat and the room fell silent again, "It is currently being handled but we thought it would be safer that you all be in one area until we are certain that the threat has been neutralized."

James' head was spinning. What the hell had happened?

"I assure you that this is the safest place for you to be right now," the Headmaster informed them. "I realize you were probably hoping for more information but that will have to wait." He stepped down from the podium and the room erupted once more, the students trying to figure out what had happened and bombarding Pandora and Coralena with questions.

James remained by the door of the Great Hall where McGonagall had asked him to stand. He was to make sure no one tried to leave.

The door behind him opened and he turned around in confusion. Everyone should have already been inside. He stopped questioning it when he realized it was Pomfrey, Ophelia and her brother.

James opened his mouth to say something but Ophelia turned to Pomfrey before he could, "Could you help Xeno to the table? I'll be there in a moment."

Pomfrey wanted them both to arrive in wheelchairs but they both refused. People were bound to notice them, they didn't need to draw even more attention to themselves.

He looked the girl up and down and frowned. She seemed fine. A little too fine for someone whose arm was in a sling. There were no marks on her skin or anything else that would indicate something had happened.

"You're using your powers, aren't you?" he concluded and her eye twitched slightly at the edge of it. "What happened?"

"It doesn't matter," she pointed out as he watched her, looking for any indication that she wasn't okay. "I'm fine."

James looked over at the Ravenclaw table where Coralena, Pandora and Xenophilius sat. Xenophilius had his head in his hand as Pandora comforted him and Coralena sat with a frown on her face, her eyes puffy from crying. He looked back at Ophelia, "Where's Reggie?"

She tensed up at this, "That's none of your business." She glanced over at her brother, "You can handle this on your own, can't you?"

He ran a hand through his hair and nodded, "Yeah."

"Good," she replied before walking off, the boy watching as she did so.

O P H E L I A  L O V E G O O D