15 | ghosts and jealousy

O P H E L I A L O V E G O O D

Things had swiftly returned to normal after her recovery from her first full moon. Well, normal was a relative term. Coralena was back to not talking to her and her brother had written to her a few times but it wasn't the same as him being there with her and they both knew it. Pandora's parents requested that she return home as well which was to be expected.

The void that Reggie's death had been the worst of it all. She missed him more than anything else and she wanted his stupid innuendos and joking manner back more than ever before.

She had been spending most of her time with James and his friends which was - if she were being a hundred percent honest - better than any time she had spent with Coralena.

One dynamic had shifted in particular and she wasn't sure if it was for better or for worse. James.

He had spent the entire first day in the infirmary despite his friends pointing out that the girl was asleep and there was no point in him staying there because it's not like she would notice if he were gone. "I'm not going anywhere," he had repeated on multiple occasions and she had in fact heard it.

She may have been comatose but she could hear every single word they had exchanged. Including a rather uncomfortable conversation between Remus and Sirius when James had vanished for a brief moment to use the restroom. She had been grateful when he returned and silenced the pair because if she heard anymore of the dreadful conversation, she would have ripped her own ears out.

Nevertheless, the pair's relationship had changed. She wasn't entirely sure what they were but she was certain you couldn't just label it as friends. Or maybe that was her overactive imagination at work.

What had definitely had to have been her overactive imagination is what she had stumbled upon in the hall.

Ophelia froze as she stared at the ghost that floated at the end of the hallway talking to Peeves. It couldn't be, she thought to herself. She had officially lost it. She cautiously approached the two ghosts. This was it, this is when she really became Loony Lovegood.

She cleared her throat and both of the ghosts turned to look at her. A grin broke out across the younger one's face and she was startled. The bite mark was still on his neck but other than that, he seemed perfectly fine. Well, that and the fact that he was a ghost.

"Ophelia," he greeted her far too chalantly. She shook her head in disbelief. This wasn't real. He frowned, "A hello would be nice."

"I am so incredibly pissed at you that I can't even think of anything to say to you," Ophelia informed him and he rolled his eyes. The ghost form of Reggie crossed his arms over his chest, "This is incredibly weird."

"You think?" he replied with a raised eyebrow. "I keep feeling like I need to pee but I don't need to pee because I'm dead. I don't even think I have organs anymore." He looked down at his abdomen and frowned, "I'm still trying to figure out how this ghost thing works."

Ophelia shook her head, "How are you here?"

"Dumbledore said that it's because I have unfinished business," he explained with a shrug. "He said it was, and I quote, 'Probably due to the violent nature of your death.'" Ophelia wanted to laugh at his mocking of their Headmaster but couldn't bring herself to do so. "Dude has no chill."

Ophelia's hand flew to her mouth before she could stop herself. A sob escaped her throat and Reggie's eyes widened.

"Oh, wait, don't cry," he pleaded as he looked around for help. "I can't hug you, I don't know what I'm supposed to do." He shook his head, "I could walk through you but I'm not sure that would help." Something caught his eye and he perked up. "Oi, Lupin!" Reggie shouted down the hall. "Get over here and give Ophelia a hug for me, would you."