10 | yule ball's and reconciliations

J A M E S  P O T T E R

It had been an absolute miracle that they had gotten away with what had happened in Hogsmeade. Both Sirius and Remus remained none the wiser.

"How is Sirius?" Ophelia asked as they stretched after their run Christmas morning. "I know Remus is still not one hundred percent."

"He's...adjusting," James replied with a frown. If adjusting was playing You Take My Breath Away on repeat as loud as he could. Peter had thrown the record player out the window but Sirius just got another one.

"I really do hope everything sorts itself out," Ophelia informed him. He knew she was being honest but he also knew that Sirius was convinced Ophelia and Remus were more than friends. Anytime James even said a word that started with the letter 'o' he lost it because he was convinced he was going to talk about Ophelia. It made him have to be overly careful when it came to talking to the boy.

"Oh, I have something for you," he announced and she grew confused at this. She stood up straight and raised a questioning eyebrow, "It's a Christmas present."

"You got me a Christmas present?" she asked in surprise. "You didn't have to do that."

He rolled his eyes, "Walk with me to the Gryffindor common room and I'll get it for you."

She frowned slightly as she followed him, "I didn't realize we were-I didn't get you anything."

"That's okay," he replied. "I have everything I need." He stood outside the Gryffindor common room, "I'll be right back." He entered as soon as the portrait opened and made his way to his room.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Sirius grumbled as the boy entered.

"It's Christmas, Pads," he reminded the boy, patting him on the arm rather enthusiastically. "You love Christmas."

"Not this year," he muttered but before James could reply, he had left the room.

"Hmm," James huffed as he opened the drawer in his side table and pulled out the poorly wrapped gift for Ophelia.

He made his way back downstairs and left the portrait quickly to find Ophelia waiting for him. She turned around to face him and smiled, "Took you long enough."

"I ran into Sirius," he replied as he handed the gift over to the girl. "But let's not talk about that right now." He gestured to the gift, "Open it."

She unwrapped the box and James took the paper from her. She opened the box to find another box inside. "A box?" she questioned. "How'd you know that was exactly what I wanted?"

He rolled his eyes and gestured for her to sit down on the step. "Keep going."

She had opened two more boxes before she started to grow agitated, "Okay, I quit." She shook her head and James grinned at her reaction, "I'll take the boxes you can keep the gift. I've been needing more storage anyway."

"But you're so close," he informed her and she raised an eyebrow.

"Am I?"

"It's the box after the next."

She opened the box and pulled out another one before proceeding to pull the next one out. Inside was a velvet rectangular container and she pulled it out before looking up at the boy, "What is it?"

"Open it," he suggested.

She did as told and opened the box. She stared at the contents inside and James began to grow wary. Was it not a good idea?

Ophelia looked up at him, "Spectrespecs?"

He nodded, "You had stopped wearing your so I wasn't sure if they broke or you lost them so I got you new ones."