The One

I just got home with the girls, after closing the cafe up.

Maple thanks me, "Thanks for dealing with that guy, he was being a total ass."

"No problem. Oh, any advice on how to get jam out of your fur?"

"what do you- oh, that looks bad."

"yeah."

"Well, first I can try to scrape it off with a comb, then when you take a shower, clean your fur out well."

"Alright, thanks."

"No problem."

...

When we get home, Maple gets cleaned up, then comes to help me with my fur.

"Thanks again, Maple."

"You're welcome! Think of it as thanks, for dealing with that guy."

I sit down on the couch with her, and she pats her lap. "Lay your head here, it'll be easier for me."

"Alright, sure."

She scrapes my ear hard with the comb. That hurts like hell, fuck!

"Ah!"

"Sorry! It's gonna have to hurt, though. If you want me to get it off."

"It's fine, just get it over with."

"Okay."

...

...

"Hey, now that we're done with the jam, wanna go drink?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, why not?"

...

...

I'm sitting with everyone else at a small bar they have at home. Shigure manages it, since she can hold her alcohol the best.

"Valerie, why haven't you drank any yet?"

"I've never drank before."

"Wait, really?!"

"Yeah, never had the chance. I left for the army before I was able to, and soon after I got back, the stuff with Zeanne happened, and I met you guys. Since then... I've never thought about it."

"Well then... that makes this a special occasion! Let's drink everybody! To Valerie!"

"TO VALERIE!"

...

...

Azuki, Maple and I are chatting about the cafe now.

"He ran from his buddy in a heartbeat, it was great~hic~!"

"It was -hic- great to -hic- to watch from -hic- from the register!"

"Iiit fellt so grrreat feeling his armm snap! -hic-"

We laugh together at the memory.

Coconut walks over to me, "Sorry about your hair. I... I didn't realize she would hit it, and... and I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry."

"It... it's fine. Really, I get it. I... my brother and I used to fight just the same. He was a bit of a dumbass, but... but I was a stubborn prick at times, too."

"I'm... sorry. About him."

"It's... was an experience."

"Being without him?"