nove.

I flicked through the fashion catalogue, turning to the very last page

"This is literally just filled with designs and prices," I clicked my tongue, rolling on my side to glance at Taya. "No designer backstory, family pictures?"

Taya shook her head, shrugged.

"Not even a little bit about how they got there?"

"Nope. Just a small guide to get you through the streets of Milan." She sighed. "I mean, I guess I would enjoy the casual sob story that brought them to where they are today."

"Thank you! See–" I quickly sat up, setting the book aside. "A little insight goes a long way. Just for interest's sake. Shop, and learn something too."

Taya chuckled, shaking her head in pure amusement. "Of course you'd want that."

We were up in our room, chilling in each other's company on a warm Sicilian afternoon. My parents and Antonio had gone out for a tourism-filled day all the way in Palermo. Marcello had gone with them, having to discuss private business with his father while Mom and Dad ventured the beautiful streets of the Italian city.

I also believe going to Palermo was beneficial for the the two, because of the catacombs and archaeological museum—they were both archaeologists, part of the reason why we could travel so much.

"Hey Lex, there's actually something really important I've gotta tell ya."

I narrowed my eyes. "What?"

She rolled her head to the side, tugging at her hair. "You know I'm pretty spontaneous right? Like, I've done some pretty wild stuff."

Tilting my head, I answered, my tone of voice one of uncertainty. "Yeah?"

I pushed off to the edge of the bed, listening closely to her. Taya was sitting near the vanity table, and scraped her chair closer to the centre the room.

"Okay good," she exhaled, nodding. Raising her chin, she held up her palms saying, "Because I'm going to Milan. With Marcello."

My eyes widened. "What?"

She nodded casually, spinning in her seat to face the vanity mirror. "Yeah, that's why he went out with your old folks. Needed their approval." Taya scoffed. "Which makes absolutely no fucking sense. I'm twenty-four, for fuck's sake."

She sighed deeply.

"But Milan is far so." I saw her shrug, still watching her wide-eyed. "And mom's been really weary about my constant habit to just up and leave, so Auntie May's keeping her eye on me."

I twisted my head, scratching my nose. "What are you going to do in Milan?"

"He has stuff to do there. Meet up with someone, he told me. And I want to see the fashion industry. It's a win-win." She met my gaze in the mirror, lips curling mischievously. "Anyway, I'm great company, if you know what I mean."