The Youngling: Purpose

Ahsoka careened onto Adhara's bed, her face lit up so bright, brighter than Adhara had ever seen.

She looked up from polishing her saber, cocking a brow at her friend. The brightness in Ahsoka's eyes and the smile on her face made Adhara giggle, setting her lightsaber aside. "What?" Ahsoka beamed wider, and Adhara shoved her shoulder, smiling as well. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Ahsoka was vibrating with excitement, her saber strapped to her side. It had been four years since the Gathering, but their sabers never went far.

"I have news," Ahsoka breathed.

Adhara cocked a brow at her. "I highly doubt you have news that I don't know of."

The Togruta's answering smile was sly. "You'd be surprised, Addie dear."

"Well let's here it, then. We'll see if I truly am surprised."

She knew Ahsoka would take it as a challenge, just like she took everything as a challenge. And the smile that pulled across her face told Adhara she was certain she would win.

Maybe she would. Adhara couldn't think of any news of note.

"I've been granted the rank of Padawan!" Ahsoka burst out.

Adhara couldn't help it - her mouth fell open, her eyes opening wide. She tried to mask her shock, but she couldn't. Sure, she was almost a year younger than Ahsoka, but she had always envisioned they would become padawans at the same time.

She had always imagined they would stay together.

And she thought Ahsoka had, too. She thought all of their talk of saving the galaxy together had meant something.

It had meant something to her, but perhaps not to Ahsoka. Because Ahsoka was smiling at her as if her whole world had come together, and Adhara's was falling apart. Because even after nine years, Ahsoka was still the only face she truly recognized, the only one she looked to in a crowded room.

And now she would be gone, and Adhara would be here. Without her.

She knew it was a good thing, that it was what Ahsoka wanted and had dreamed of for so long, but her heart fissured inside of her, pain spiking like the slice of a lightsaber. It was like she was losing her, like she had lost everyone before her. Her soul trembled, tears climbing into her eyes. Her first tears in years.

She was not ready to be alone again.

But Ahsoka was still sitting before her, still smiling so wide it blinded her, so Adhara plastered a smile onto her face. Tried to feel some sort of happiness for her friend even though her heart was cracking.

"To who?"

"Anakin Skywalker." Ahsoka flopped down onto Adhara's bed, oblivious to the turmoil in Adhara's heart.

Adhara arched a brow. "Master Skywalker? Didn't he just become a Jedi Knight?" she had heard a lot about Anakin Skywalker – how he was headstrong, disobeyed orders, and somehow always got the job done.

Ahsoka shrugged. "I guess so. Who cares? I'm a padawan now, and I'm going to battle!"

Adhara's blood ran as cold as an Eshan storm. She felt like she had when she'd left Ahsoka to find her kyber crystal three years ago at the Gathering - the drop in her heart and that fear she could not explain.

We are Jedi, she told herself. We must go to battle. We must risk our lives everyday for peace.

But it didn't ease the turmoil inside of her. It didn't stop her from wanting to reach out for Ahsoka, to hold her close, to keep her safe.