[34.] Mrs. McCoy

A/N: As usual, I am so sorry for the extended wait. Senior year is tough, y'all, and I've been too busy and exhausted and burdened by other responsibilities to update. Thank you as always for conitnuing to read, and for your patience with me. I honestly don't know when I'll be able to update again, but I can promise you that it's not over, and I will be finishing the story sometime within the next several months. <3 Love you all to pieces!

[34] Mrs. McCoy

            Jim looked at Leonard, eyes wide.

            “I’m not married,” Leonard said gruffly, stiffening.

            I could hear my heartbeat in my ears.

            “I’m sorry, but she’s insisting,” the cadet said nervously, his eyes darting between him and I. “I wouldn’t have interrupted unless it was important.”

            “Bones?” Jim inquired, looking at me instead of him.

            “I’m not married,” he repeated, less strongly this time. I could feel the anxiety rolling off of him in waves.

            “But you were,” Jim reasoned.

            Leonard closed his eyes and swore under his breath.

            “Leonard?” I said softly.

            Without a word, he interlaced his fingers with mine and stood to his feet, pulling me with him.

            “She’s back,” he said blankly. “She’s found me.”

            “Your…” I tried. But I already knew the answer.

            “My ex-wife,” he said, finishing my thought for me.

            Jim started from behind his desk.

            “It’s okay, Jim. This is my business,” Leonard told him.

            “I’m coming anyway,” Jim retorted, still looking at me. Then I realized: though Jim cared about Leonard’s well-being in such a tense situation, he knew that he could handle it on his own if he wanted to. He was tagging along for me. I gave a small nod towards him in thanks. He returned the gesture, his eyes worried.

            And so we proceeded out of the office, the cadet leading the way.

            I could feel my stomach in my throat. I was hearing out of my eyes and seeing out of my ears. I knew I had no need to be anxious, but that didn’t stop my blood from pumping through my veins faster than usual.

            As we approached the lobby, I felt Leonard’s grip on my hand tighten, and I noticed that Jim was standing closer to me than he had been on the way down. They’re anticipating a fight, I perceived. Gracious, should I be anticipating that too? Should I even try to anticipate anything? I have no clue as to what to expect from this woman!

            I gave Leonard’s hand a squeeze back.

            The woman finally came into view. Leonard tensed next to me.

            She stood at the desk, dressed in business pants and a work shirt. She was wearing heels, so she stood much taller than me, but I could tell that even without the heels, she would still tower over me. Her blonde hair fell in soft curls around the frame of her thin face, and her green eyes were sharp and alert. When she saw me, I noticed a small flush in her cheeks.